Sign in to follow this  
xescuy

H&R touring kit ...

Hello folks,

I'm in a position where i need to change my shocks a bit before their time.

They are too long for the springs currently on the car (don't ask, not my doing) so ... in bad shape and so were all the bushes and ball joints. Those are changed now so it's time for the shocks.

Believe the springs will have to stay so now I wonder what should I get as far as shocks?

I'd like to go with the stock Bilsteins, but I'm not sure I can find shorter ones to fit the springs

I was told that the Boge ones are good but again not sure on size.

I could add some spacers with the current springs and use stock M ones or any of the ones above

At this point having more comfort looks more and more interesting.

I'm willing to raise it a bit... having looked under and seen the damage done to the underside.

I always believed that it was the stock M Technics suspension but I have my doubts now :)

Car - 328is E36 1995, M suspension with 17' with 235/40ZR17

Anything else you need to know please ask.

Cheers

R

Edited by XescuY

A good set of shocks are expensive... a good set of springs are cheap. I'd talk to Keith @ H&R about the springs, hes a forum sponsor here (SUSPENSION) and upgrade your springs as well. Shocks can also be shortened. I had my Bilsteins done by Chris @ Suspension Tech in Manukau

Thanks Glenn, I thought about that but I'll need more info on this.

In my mind I was either getting a very good set of shocks second hand or a good one new. Never thought about the springs. Not sure if the shocks are still in good enough shape to be worth keeping.

I'm willing to pay a bit to get something decent. It's been expensive changing all of the bushes and ball joints so I'm keen to get it done well from the start to avoid this kind of expenses in the future

I'm in Wellie so if you or Keith can recommend someone to see it would be good. I have a good mechanic so I'm more interested in getting the right parts.

Thanks for the input Glenn.

Keep'em coming guys.

Cheers

R

my shocks were completely nackered in the beemer, now have changed to Bilstein B6s and well impressed with them.... would recommend them to anyone... just drove to whitianga over the weekend which confirmed my feelings of awesomeness :)

i got mine through basil at autopassion for about $1500...

Hi guys,

I was hoping for a little more input on this.

I have done some research and decided that a full suspension kit will be the best choice for simplicity and price.

Would you agree with that? Can I come out cheaper if I get the individual parts (shocks, springs)??

I'm looking at a H&R or Bilstein with the touring setup as I don't want my car that low.

Has anyone used either of them, what can you tell me? Where did you find them, how much??

Are there any other brands or setups you would recommend??

Thanks

R

Go Bilstein or Koni with H & R springs.. about a 40mm drop will not necessitate shock shortening

Autolign for Bilstein

George Stocks for Koni

Edited by *Glenn*

Go Bilstein or Koni with H & R springs.. about a 40mm drop will not necessitate shock shortening

Autolign for Bilstein

George Stocks for Koni

Hi Glenn ... I was actually hoping for something a bit higher than that. The car is too low now and I keep bottoming out on speed bumps, parking entrances and the like ... very annoying. The underside of the front bumper is a mess and the muffler shield is looking less than great :)

Since I don't really plan to track/race the car a touring setting, I believe, might be closer to what I'm looking for.

Originally, the car had M sport suspension which is low enough for my needs and driving style.

What would you recommend that is close to that? I'm willing to loose 10-15 mm past that but not more otherwise I'll be back to what I have now :)

Thanks for any suggestions

R

get some m sport springs or h&r oe springs then

they will get your car back to standard ride height

yea I got the m sport suspension in my e36 and it only has trouble with some driveways and speed bumps, usually it's ok it's the real awkward driveways / crappy speed bumps that give it any grief

sits a fairly alright height I reckon, I just need bigger wheels lol

check out this thread for some pics (mine is the red one)

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....st&p=316938

get some m sport springs or h&r oe springs then

they will get your car back to standard ride height

Not sure that will solve much since the shocks are battered to hell.

They are Bilstein (F) and Boge (B) so they might be rebuildable but I have no idea where I could go for something like that or if it's cheaper than getting new ones.

I will be getting springs also but not sure from where since I don't want to pay dealer/store prices.

Any good places you might know in Wellington ??

Cheers

R

***Off topic***

Just a side note for the forum admin.

I'm unable to upload pics

Keep getting following error:

"Error Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to ensure the uploads directory is available"

I'm getting this at work and at home, on different browsers and operating systems.

Anything I'm doing wrong ??

Any ideas?

***Off topic***

Just a side note for the forum admin.

I'm unable to upload pics

Keep getting following error:

"Error Upload failed. Please ask the administrator to ensure the uploads directory is available"

I'm getting this at work and at home, on different browsers and operating systems.

Anything I'm doing wrong ??

Any ideas?

Yes there is a problem ATM which is being sorted out... Just be a little patient

bilsteins can be rebuilt. Call autolign they will help you

get msport springs from trademe or something

Yes there is a problem ATM which is being sorted out... Just be a little patient

Sweet...

That's all I needed to know.

Thanks mate

R