Sign in to follow this  
dirtydoogle

e36 320i making stupid noises.

My older brother has an E36 320i/A2 that has me a wee bit stumped. When it I took it for a nice wee drive [was considering buying it from him] then parked it up again it was making nice "gloop gloop" sounds when turned off after being at operating temp [needle never fluctuated]

Sounded as though it was pulling air through the overflow if that makes sense?

He has informed me it takes a wee bit off water every now and then, but, in his ownership has never over heated. Also the coolant level warning comes on when the reservoir has plenty of water in it.

Is this to be a worry? I was thinking perhaps it had an air lock somewhere? But I would then expect it to overheat.

I'd like to know why it does this, as, the Jatco jerk is a big enough put off as it is.

The water level light will be the level sensor in the bottom of the expansion tank if its coming on when the tank is full.

Have you tried determining exactly where the noise is coming from ? You sure its not the exhaust just cooling down...or is it coming from under the bonnet ?

The water level light will be the level sensor in the bottom of the expansion tank if its coming on when the tank is full.

Have you tried determining exactly where the noise is coming from ? You sure its not the exhaust just cooling down...or is it coming from under the bonnet ?

Thanks Glenn.

It was an air lock in the heater. I was having a severe brain fart not too realise what it was :unsure: