Sign in to follow this  
briancol

E36 Ignition problems.

I have an annoying problem with my E36 323. Sometimes, when I am usually in a hurry to start the car, the engine will turn over but it will just not fire. This happens with both keys. I have changed the reader ring on the ignition barrel without any result, I have had the alarm checked to make sure the immobiliser is switching off which is OK. To overcome the problem I have to take the key out of the ignition, wait a couple of seconds, then turn the ignition on, wait till the ABS light goes out, then gently start the car. It goes 1st time then. I have had Glenn check i out and have spoken to "Hotwire" and neither have heard of this problem.

Has anypne here had this problem and how did you rectify it?

Cheers

Brian.

I havent checked the problem for you Brian... I've only fitted the 2nd hand reader coil for you that someone else told you could be causing the problem. It may be many things.. we had a similar problem 2 weeks ago with a E39 540MS... it was a faulty DME not switching the fuel pump relay. This week we had a similar problem on a E46 318.. it was a faulty crankshaft position sensor. It just needs to be diagnosed properly.