Sign in to follow this  
Mike

Windscreen washer hoses cracked

As the title says the hoses are quite brittle and have started to crack for the windscreen washer jets. I've looked around a few hardware stores and found hoses that will do the job but no luck with suitable joiners. I called BMW and they'll only sell me the whole lot (hoses + joiners for silly money), same with aftermarket suppliers.

Anybody been replaced these before, if so where did you find the joiners?

I might try wreckers as last resort but would rather get new as second hand is likley to be just as brittle

Cheers

Edited by Mike

Waste of time second hand..you'll break them getting them off or putting them on.... just go new

glenn is right, very brittle little buggers.

yeah thats what I thought. I'll go new from dealer if I have to but seems like something I can save quite a bit on if I can just find the right sized joiners

Can you explain what type of joiners you need?E.g what size is the inside diameter of the hose and is it just joining two peices of hose or a hose on 1 end and a fitting on the other?

I have a pretty good range of hose joiners at work thats why I ask

Edited by braeden.

I would also be keen and if anyone can explain the best way to remove and replace... I've not looked at it properly but I know one of mine has split... and I'd rather have an expert tell me how than work out that I could've done it better if I'd asked...

I too had this problem. I just used a piece of vacum hose to replace the cracked section, which reulted in the plastic nipple breaking off the drivers side washer jet. I super glued it, and that lasted all of 3 weeks lol. Intensive wash is a bit of a have imo so ive just left it disconnected. One day, i'll get around to replacing the washer jet, but because it's heated they're not cheap.

Ive just been through the drama of finding out how brittle this tube is. I read the forum and became more disappointed. Went down to Mitre10 today and found "Nylex clear vinyl tubing 5mm" @ $1.79 per metre.

Being very careful, I got the old stuff off without breaking the joiners or right angle adapters.

Dip the ends of the new tubing in hot water to soften them before pushing them on.

Is working fine so far.