Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

My pretty standard 320i

Got a Canon 350D and decided to take some carpark shots. I used the standard 18-55mm lense, any suggestions on what lens's to get and what setting's ect suit car pics? I'm a complete novice when it comes to photography.

here be them pics....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

im a camera noob too, but get prime leneses and a filters, its good for removing glare....

A circular polariser helps a lot with car pics as it removes reflections. Since you just started, I wouldn't be too hasty about getting anything else just yet - you'll find out what sort of lenses will suit your shooting range etc through time. Spend the time on technique for now.

Good first effort - the polished wheels look good under that lighting. Would suggest toning down the white balance a bit as it's a bit blue right now. You can do so with a program like Lightroom.

Have you done any post-processing? The photos seem to be quite saturated, with lots of contrast. also, like someone else has already said, keep an eye on the white balance. Have a play with the different settings to see what effects it has.

The shot of both cars is nice!

yeah, the glare caused the car to look really washed out. So I made the midtones darker to give some depth back.

It was my first go with the camera so I didn't play with the white balance ect, was just getting used to setting the shutter speed and f/stop.

Only thing you need is practice ... I've taken some of my best shots on my bog standard lens.

Lighting is key (as you have found out) .. watch for crushing the black too much in post. Its a pretty played out look these days in the photography circles. Sometimes popping the contrast up in a photo is all that will save it thought :D ..

Practice practice practice ... it wont take you long to get a nack, then youll know what lenses youll want .. as they are not cheap as you have probably have found out.

BTW .. nice shots of the car!