Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Rounded brake disk bolt

Ok, rounded the little allan key that holds the rotor onto the hub. Struts had been sitting for 4 years in a paddock, I should have lubed it.mmm lube.

Anyways, what do I do, I just undid the big nut holding the wheel bearing on to get it off so I could get the coilovers made but now need to get it off to put the new discs on.

Should I try weld a bolt to it and take it off? Or would it be easier to just buy a new hub?

Cheers

Ashkan

almost had the same problem removing my rotors which was last bolted on 1995.. i ended up buying a impact driver. oh that saved my butt from head scratching. started hammering at it and it loosened LOL love that tool!!

if it did no loosen i doubt it will fly off so probably safe?. but in the long run you still wont be able to take it out. better to get another hub?

Does that allen key round bolt thing do anything other than hold the rotor? It just makes it easier to re attach my wheel back on, or does it serve another function?

from memory it just holds / aligns the rotor holes with the wheel bolts to the hub... wheel bolts does most of the keeping it together part. well that's how i see it. the allen bolt thing is shallow. prob different for the e30?

Edited by Docile

I need to take it off to take the rotor off...

Whats a new hub/wheel bearing assy worth?

Raaaay!?

Would be pretty easy to just weld a bolt to it and take it out. But I guess if a new hub is cheap enough then why not..

I have drilled a couple out in my time. Also used a chisel on the head of the bolt to cut a slot in it and hit to spin the bolt anticlockwise and undo. CRC Penetrate will/would have helped.

Drill it out - only takes 5 mins. Last time I had to do it, the head came off leaving enough bolt sticking out to undo with a pair of pliers.

Drill it out - only takes 5 mins. Last time I had to do it, the head came off leaving enough bolt sticking out to undo with a pair of pliers.

+1 takes no time at all. Did this on mine originally and just did it again on a friends e30 3days ago! You'll just need a new bolt/screw!

This happens a lot with old rotor bolts. Get a small cold chisel and/or a centre punch, and carve a slot into the bolt head, then rotate it gently with some penetrating lubricant (WD40, Penetrene etc) to assist.

Go and get some new ones from the dealer - if you don't, the rotor will rotate slightly around the wheel bearing face and grind against the wheel bolts/studs. This will cause problems down the track that are easily avoided with a couple of $2 parts.

Sometimes you can smash a male torx bit in there and wind it out

if you have to drill it out you can usually just drill just the head off and remove the rest of the threaded part with some good vice grips once the rotor is removed

Drill the head of the bolt/screw off then slide the disc over the now headless bolt/screw and then remove with pilers as above... done it on the 205, 306, and a few other cars... stupid soft screws...

they arn't anything special just a countersunk screw, most hardware places\engineering bolt shops will have them.