Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

325 Front sway bar

Need a front sway bar + links for a 325 E30. factory (bigger one) or aftermarket.

Need fairly soon.

Cheers

Ashkan

Can do.

be careful about going too stiff in the front.

The stiffer your anti-roll bars in the front the more understeer you will promote. You can also decrease the turn in of the car with stiffer rollbars.

I know a bunch of people that run smaller than factory anti-roll bars, or no anti-roll bar and they prefer the handling of the car that way.

Guest Simon*

We're not talking about some French chassis made of cheese here Heath :D

It's common practise for guys serious about driving their E30's to upgrade to the M325 front sways

Simon - if the french cheese chassis was so soft then why is they that they don't need the extra stiffness in the front?

It's more likely that the limp bratwurst of a E30 chassis needs the extra stiffness to make it handle better...

Thats all good then... it's just something to keep in mind. probably comes down to how you like your cars setup also.

Guest Simon*

Comes down to technique then I guess - glooping round corners like runny Brie ;)

^ WTF are you on.

6 cylinder E30 most like to understeer.

Bhahahahah

BMW is and understeer RWD.

Ray, will ring you tommorow. Can't really get out to ya till Friday.

Heath- Cheers for that, have read that with a decent spring rate and stiff as sways,it will understeer. I think that Henry ran into the same problem in his build.

Standard/m325 one will do for now.

From what I have learnt since putting big bars on, it was the speed at which I was moving the steering wheel which was causing the understeer. Slowing down the wheel and turning in beautifully and smoothly cured all ills, it takes a little while to really sort it out. Also, the margin of warning (the feeling of tires just starting to let go) to the grip letting go at both ends is nearly non-existant, great fun in the wet with R888's. The difference with the bars on the track was amazing, need 50% harder springs now hahaha

before.

grip>>.................................warning..........lets go

|..................................................|...............|

Now:

grip>>..................................................WARN-LETSGO

|...............................................................|...|

So just steer smoothly.

Sweet, cheers for that mate. Will look into it after I sort the brakes out and get it on the road. Just want to get the bloody thing out of the shed! :rolleyes:

something to keep in mind.

whats the o.d. of the factory fitted bar, whats the o.d. of the 325 bar.

Hollow? Solid?

have a read of this more so for the graph to give you an idea of what going up 1 or 2mm in bar dia will do to overall roll stiffness: Visit My Website

A track will always better suit a stiffer car.

The pug boys for road rallys will run a 24mm rear anti-roll bar and 21/22mm torsion bars. The dedicated track boys will run 28mm rear anti-roll bars (ones running 30mm) with 24-26mm torsion bars... As there is not bumps, dips, unulations, etc...

I went from 320 front sway bar and no rear bar

to M325I ( don't know if M or not makes any difference ) front and rear with urethane bushings on the front

and the difference was really really good

it went from loose and floppy to crisp and good

Edited by Jimmy

I went from a 20/21mm front factory 325i bar to a 24mm whiteline bar and the difference was amazing, that coupled with urethane sway mounts alround and it felt like a different car.

not saying you guys don't need it... just letting the dude know the theory.

I was also trying to highlight the difference in setups for track vs road.

Forrest what did you do to the rear? I didn't realise that the E30's where that soft in the front to start with.