Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Big ends or Thrust bearing ?

Brother bought a new car

manual e30 323i, with 278000km on the clock

there is a rattle under load, the seller mentioned that the throw out bearing needed replacing,

but me being the paranoid one suspects big ends.

are there any tests to tell between the 2 problems ? apart from replacing the throw out bearing ?

Its not a knocking noise at all, just a rattle under heavy load

Mine only rattles when its idleing and my foots off the clutch. Once im moving or my foots on the clutch it goes away. I would be abit concerned if it was ratling when the engines under load...

Mine only rattles when its idleing and my foots off the clutch. Once im moving or my foots on the clutch it goes away. I would be abit concerned if it was ratling when the engines under load...

hmm, thats what i thought, im still not convinced, as i personally have had big end problems on other cars and it is a different more abrasive noise. Any other opinions ? should i just get the thrust bearing fixed and then see if it carries on ?

actually, what i was thinking, is i know that the thrust bearing definately needs replacing, if the thrust bearing is bad, wouldnt the engine under load expose that more, and the noise get louder ? assume that the thrust bearing is absolutely shot here

that is possible, but he bought it off some one in bm autoban, i wouldn't imagine some one that worked in there would muck that up.

do you think its pre detonation ?

that is possible, but he bought it off some one in bm autoban, i wouldn't imagine some one that worked in there would muck that up.

do you think its pre detonation ?

Dont assume anything - check it first - Check the timing - even retard it a little and see if the noise remains.