Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

Leak in radiator a cause of increased engine temp?

The car I'm looking at buying has a leak in the radiator. This problems all fine and dandy I know it could be worse than just a leak but anyway my main question is related to whether or not this could affect engine temperature. With BMW's I've general found the needle sticks straight up and down on the temperature gauge with all of them. But this car seems to always be stuck at the 12:30 - 1pm position. On the other hand it could just be a dodgy thermostat.

Beforehand I plan on getting a pre-purchase inspection done @ Team McMillan where the car is serviced already.

Do you think they'd be keen to tell me more - gonna ring and try tomorrow anyway. I've got the numberplate and the owner says I'm welcome to ring them and find out more about the car. Part of the conditions I'm going to put on my offer is that the cars in good working condition with no repairs needed.

Cheers

E30stz.

My needle always sits at 11 - 11:30, unless super warm, like after a hill climb chasing a couple of 325i's :D

more likely a block in radiator...mine sits at bout the first mark.....i do have a new radiator though.....but these things clog up over time and the cooling becomes less effecient.....12.30-1 does seem a little high......most i seen sit at 12 and pretty much stay there....kinda hard to diagnose without car though

small hole in radiator will release pressure from system which will in turn lower boiling point temperature and raise the temp in cooling system .

My needle always sits at 11 - 11:30, unless super warm, like after a hill climb chasing a couple of 325i's :D

*quietly chuckles*

Is it not supposed to sit at 12 when the car is warm ?

cause every E46 and E36 i've driven it sit at exactly 12 when the car is warm ..

this car was running @ 12:30 - 1 after a morning startup from not being used untill the previous weekend.

[ I need to learn to explain things better, that sounds hopeless ]

Edited by E30stz

yeah we'll see wut hte pre-purchase inspection reads. Then get them to sort it. I cant take a chance and just wait for it too calm down.