Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

Latest BMWCar Issue

Guest Ari Gold

I will post them if I buy the issue!

I'm super impressed they managed to find an M8, it was pretty widely distributed fact (internet <_< ) that BMW made 3 of them and they were all crushed.

Fun fact: the engine is coded S70/1 - the Mclaren engine was S70/2

I will post them if I buy the issue!

I'm super impressed they managed to find an M8, it was pretty widely distributed fact (internet <_< ) that BMW made 3 of them and they were all crushed.

Fun fact: the engine is coded S70/1 - the Mclaren engine was S70/2

Hi there, I was pretty sure they only made one (could be wrong) and it was never ever presented officially (not just because they canned the project) because it was not road-worthy (no head-lights etc) and looked a tad shoddy in the flesh. Evidently the tough economic times made it un-viable. Absolute shame. The eventual 850csi may have had it's engine massaged by Motorsport GMBH and had enhanced suspension but it would have been brilliant if it was badged as a ///M and had 550 ponies to play with like this baby did have. That was Diablo territory- a true supercar.

I like BMW car magazine - I buy it monthly simply because of the quality of the articles, writers, and the overall presentation of the mag (great article on 20 years of the E31 2 months ago). Total BMW was once a worthy competitor but has had changes with their publishers and the quality has deteroriated.

I just picked up this magazine ... well worth the purchase.

Here's the final sentence from the article, sums it up nicely I think:

"In some ways there should be no surprise that it was not sanctioned for limited production but it could be viewed as the father of the 850CSi and McLaren F1 and it could so easily have been as exciting and significant as both of them, and maybe have been a latter-day BMW M1 or M635CSi. What we can do today is sit back and admire the work of that small group of dedicated and talented people at BMW M GmbH"

Few fun facts about the car:

- They only ever built one and it still exists today - it's tucked away deep in BMW's historical collection (in fact I've spotted a video of this said 'warehouse' on the net recently and saw the M8 tucked away in the corner)

- Carbon Kevlar Dash covered in Alcantara

- Scheel Carbon Kevlar bucket seat and 4 point harness

- The rear fender cut out was to house an oil cooler for the engine on the left and differential cooler on the right.

- The s70 engine was designed not by Paul Rosche, but rather an apprentice of his working for him at the time (Schulte Vorwick). This engine did later 'help' with the eventual McLaren F1 engine they were contracted to do by Gordan Murray.

- Engine was basically 2 x M3 six cylinders joined together on a common crankcase (sound familiar?)

- Car is loaded with Alcantara interior

- The car was actually VERY CLOSE to being sanctioned for phase 2 development which would have meant a limited run of approximately 1500 units at DM250,000 retail price per car (the marketing department thought it was too expensive and would not sell, so the board canned it - Damn marketing people!!!)

- 550hp, no official timing was ever done, but approximately 4.8s to 100km and capable of 340km/h

- They had also partially completed chassis development at the Nurburgring for this before the budget ran out.

- Standard Getrag 6 speed gearbox with 3.15:1 final drive

- the wheels are a 2 piece design with the centre being made from Carbon Kevlar!!!! (this is back in 1990 people!!)

- 4 pot AP Racing front caliper on 305mm disc - rear standard 850Ci item

- Aluminium bonnet

- They wind tunnel tested the car and found that a rear spoiler was not necessary

- The car has headlights, just not the pop up item found in the normal E31 - weight saving measure apparently.

- The people that worked on this car were: Reitzle, Kalbfell, Roche and Gerhard Richter (all from BMW Motorsport)

- The car has a German plate ZS-M-32 (I wonder if it is actually registered??)

The Journalists that did this article nearly got to drive the car, but it had a faulty electronic engine module and was misfiring on the day, so they decided to cann the drive.

Well worth buying the magazine - heaps of close up never before seen detail photos of this car.

Edited by M3_Power

- Engine was basically 2 x M3 six cylinders joined together on a common crankcase (sound familiar?)

At the risk of sounding like a twit, are you hinting at the Mclaren F1?

The reason the M8 never went in to production was Wolfgang Reitzle said at the time, we (BMW) 'do not want to put our name to such a vehicle anymore' interpret what you like from that. :huh: :huh:

Picked up the magazine in the weekend - have not read it properly yet but look forward to it. I love the stripes on the M5.

At the risk of sounding like a twit, are you hinting at the Mclaren F1?

I thought he was referring to the m70, which is like 2 m20s on a common crank.

I just picked up this magazine ... well worth the purchase.

Here's the final sentence from the article, sums it up nicely I think:

"In some ways there should be no surprise that it was not sanctioned for limited production but it could be viewed as the father of the 850CSi and McLaren F1 and it could so easily have been as exciting and significant as both of them, and maybe have been a latter-day BMW M1 or M635CSi. What we can do today is sit back and admire the work of that small group of dedicated and talented people at BMW M GmbH"

Few fun facts about the car:

- They only ever built one and it still exists today - it's tucked away deep in BMW's historical collection (in fact I've spotted a video of this said 'warehouse' on the net recently and saw the M8 tucked away in the corner)

- Carbon Kevlar Dash covered in Alcantara

- Scheel Carbon Kevlar bucket seat and 4 point harness

- The rear fender cut out was to house an oil cooler for the engine on the left and differential cooler on the right.

- The s70 engine was designed not by Paul Rosche, but rather an apprentice of his working for him at the time (Schulte Vorwick). This engine did later 'help' with the eventual McLaren F1 engine they were contracted to do by Gordan Murray.

- Car is loaded with Alcantara interior

- The car was actually VERY CLOSE to being sanctioned for phase 2 development which would have meant a limited run of approximately 1500 units at DM250,000 retail price per car (the marketing department thought it was too expensive and would not sell, so the board canned it - Damn marketing people!!!)

- 550hp, no official timing was ever done, but approximately 4.8s to 100km and capable of 340km/h

- They had also partially completed chassis development at the Nurburgring for this before the budget ran out.

- Standard Getrag 6 speed gearbox with 3.15:1 final drive

- the wheels are a 2 piece design with the centre being made from Carbon Kevlar!!!! (this is back in 1990 people!!)

- 4 pot AP Racing front caliper on 305mm disc - rear standard 850Ci item

- Aluminium bonnet

- They wind tunnel tested the car and found that a rear spoiler was not necessary

- The car has headlights, just not the pop up item found in the normal E31 - weight saving measure apparently.

- The people that worked on this car were: Reitzle, Kalbfell, Roche and Gerhard Richter (all from BMW Motorsport)

- The car has a German plate ZS-M-32 (I wonder if it is actually registered??)

The Journalists that did this article nearly got to drive the car, but it had a faulty electronic engine module and was misfiring on the day, so they decided to cann the drive.

Well worth buying the magazine - heaps of close up never before seen detail photos of this car.

I concur; it is a superb magazine. What I found fascinating was the wheels; from old photos I always assumed they were throwing stars without the covers on - who would have thought they are the same design but carbon kevlar?

Isn't it fascinating too that this thing is still 'alive and kicking?' With so much conjecture that the M8 was destroyed after being in storage for many years, it is great to hear that the prototype is still around.

I have seen photos of a 850csi individual that had a purple /black interior. It looks like BMW used some spare bits of purple trim on the M8.

I love the front spoiler and air scoops on the sides. Tres' cool.

where to buy in CHCH boys? want that, havent seen it at the servo etc though