Sign in to follow this  
39KiwiTouring

Price of Keys

Hi I had two sets of keys but lost 1 set, absolutely gutted even rung the cops and asked if they had been handed in.

Anyhow anyone know what the price may be for a replacement and the easiest option available.

To my knowledge - around $350-400 ish but you can get a non remote version as a cheaper option too I think

Never had to do it myself, but I think it requires a dealer (or Glenn) to order them from Germany using your chassis number. Think they were in the $3-400 mark depending on the type of key - which might make an insurance claim worth while.

Glenn is the man to confirm and will no doubt be along shortly...

i got stung $200 for a non-remote one as I only wanted a spare. the remote (IR) was around $500 i think

Edited by Mike

I was quoted a ridiculous $530 for the remote key (NZ New E46), and the dealer said they have no mark up on this item...

I hope you have better luck than me!

My e60 beast only came with a single key which was of concern for the past year. Pricing is around $500+ ex stealer. Ended up deciding that in reality I was more likely to lock the keys in the car so took the cheaper option of buying a key without transponder.

Bottom line ... blank key without the transponder but space for it - $30 landed here on Ebay US (it was shipped from Poland) Key cut at local locksmith - $25. Now I have a bit of peace of mind.

My e60 beast only came with a single key which was of concern for the past year. Pricing is around $500+ ex stealer. Ended up deciding that in reality I was more likely to lock the keys in the car so took the cheaper option of buying a key without transponder.

Bottom line ... blank key without the transponder but space for it - $30 landed here on Ebay US (it was shipped from Poland) Key cut at local locksmith - $25. Now I have a bit of peace of mind.

did they cut it from your key or did you have (or need) the actual key number

did they cut it from your key or did you have (or need) the actual key number

I took my new blank key + my existing key to Ross Galt Locksmith and they cut one on the spot. Think they mentioned they could have done it with the number but I had my key with me so they did there and then.

About 30 bucks from the dealer for an E30 :D

Thanks everyone might have to get another transponder, or might pay the $250 excess.

Hopefully Glenn can give me an accurate estimate.

Chassis # please.. the I can give you the "right" price

Thanks mate

VIN WBADH620XOBZ02182

Hard to decipher o and 0 so reg number CNA28 it's on car jam the VIN.

I will then submit to insurance final price.

is that the one with the remote? if so thats quite a savings over the dealers price. Or do the price of keys vary even between different e39's?

is that the one with the remote? if so thats quite a savings over the dealers price. Or do the price of keys vary even between different e39's?

Yes it is the remote type... they do vary in price by chassis # $300-$380 + Gst and it is dealer price. You don't get discounts on keys X Germany

Thank you Glenn I will contact insurance and see if it effects my no claims and way it all up.

I'll PM you in due coarse.

About $0.70 if you have an account with BABER LSC :D

About 30 bucks from the dealer for an E30 :D

Come on guys... were talking about an E39... not a boat anchor... or is this just regular post whoring

Please keep on topic. $2 keys is not helping the OP

Hi Glenn

Given I now have a spare key without a transponder fitted, do you have access to buy the chip set / transpoder for these keys so I can get 100% use out of the key again?

Hi Glenn

Given I now have a spare key without a transponder fitted, do you have access to buy the chip set / transpoder for these keys so I can get 100% use out of the key again?

No Ron... only with a genuine new key

Edited by *Glenn*

A key without transponder can only unlock then vehicle.

It cannot start it, because the transponder is what the immobilizer talks to.

And as you say, it ain't there!

I don't know whether you can register another transponder from another key to your car.... you would have to try.

And registering keys to the car requires the BMW diagnostics computer

Good point Jochen. My initial issue is locking the keys in the car or worst case the boot. Without fold down rear seats, the boot is very difficult to enter.

It wouldn't be that hard to find a donor transponder through a wrecked e60.

Anyone want to chime in on knowledge on how easy or not is is to recode a transponder and cost ???

Good point Jochen. My initial issue is locking the keys in the car or worst case the boot. Without fold down rear seats, the boot is very difficult to enter.

It wouldn't be that hard to find a donor transponder through a wrecked e60.

Anyone want to chime in on knowledge on how easy or not is is to recode a transponder and cost ???

You cant Ron. The transponder is factory coded to the EWS control unit from the factory. You would need the EWS control unit and the keys from a wrecker and realign the EWS & DME control units. Then you would have to get all the locks recoded (change all the wafers) to the new keys. Cheaper just to order a proper key for the car against its chassis #. The cut key you have is good for emergency situations, like getting into the car, but it won't allow you to drive using that key.

Edited by *Glenn*