Sign in to follow this  
Gus

Car Cleaning

how do you all clean ya cars? im finding im getting a lot of fine clear coat scratches...i normally waterblast and then chamois...although without a chamois today i notice there still heaps of dirt on...how it all come off? and grant...this is without matthew ridge doing it for me

any ideas?

I get in, start the engine, travel south down the motorway to Greenlane, drive it into Car Fe, hand over $35 then sit down, have a coffee, read the news paper and then hey presto it is clean.

Seriously...when I can be bothered doing it myself, I use a soft sponge for 90% of the car (all of the metal painted areas) and a car washing brush for the rest.

I also make sure that the sponge is rinsed out thoroughly often to get rid of any dirt (and small scratchy bits).

To answer your question, for a lazy bugger like me, it is worth Matthew Ridge getting his hands dirty and doing some real work. Sometimes I do tidy up bits and pieces that they miss, but they do a pretty good job.

Cheers.

For my Subaru (since I don't care about :rolleyes: ) I just use a brush and bucket of water with wash & wax in it(industrial bulk stuff)

;Jumps up and down waiting for BMW to get here; When that does get here, i'll be taking good care of it, washing, polishing, waxing, etc etc

When i got my car i used all new stuff and there was still swirls ... ugh .. i guess somethings are ment to be ...

hehe i used to work down at car-fe :P they do an ok job i have to say the pricey jobs are a rip-off they hardly wax or whatever your car- plus some of the dudes down there have no idea what the hell theyre doing - personally id rather do it myself plus matthew ridge is a bit of an ass

hehe i used to work down at car-fe :P they do an ok job i have to say the pricey jobs are a rip-off they hardly wax or whatever your car- plus some of the dudes down there have no idea what the hell theyre doing - personally id rather do it myself plus matthew ridge is a bit of an ass

Yeah, when Brook had her Toyota we took both of them down to Car Fe, I got the $35 one and she got the $75 one, afterwards we could tell no difference in the work.

Still, it beats me doing it, as I don't do a very good job at all.

Cheers

meguiers range gus, scratch X is your friend.

the reason it still looks dirty after you clean it is because it is, the surface has bonded contaminants, this is where a full step paint cleaning system rocks you.

then you too can have paint like mine :D

Grant you've got the idea.. why do it yourself.. My wife cleans the BMW..I watch..private wet T-shirt haha.. The Subaru(97) at 360,000k's who cares the dirt may be whats holding it together...

My local valet does a wash for $10 that is very good. Same price as the BP carwash, but by hand instead of machine - pretty cheap.

I like to do it myself though, and I simply wet the car down, then use a chamois to wash all of the paint work, windows etc, and a brush for wheels and under guards. Then hose of, rinse and wring out chamois and then dry car to try and stop water spots.

Then out with the silicone spray on all the plastic bits and tyres.

Once every so often it gets the polish and wax treatment. I have swirls buthey were on the car when I bought it, so I'll have to see if the worsen.

Might give scratch-X a wirl.

My car has the best colour, you can't tell that it's dirty until you get up real close :D

Do the maguirs three step, and do it right, the outcome will be your paint job will have a nice wet look and your car will be very easy to clean for a couple of months, just hose it down and it'll be clean.