Sign in to follow this  
nath

1985 318i AFM and sensor

i'm after one of these: realoem

number 4- temp-time sensor for my M10... it is VDO 1274 625.3

also has 35 degrees 12 sec stamped on it......

also after a 1985 318i airflow meter, last 3 numbers 050.

I have an odd starting problem where she starts and then immediately stalls (when cold) so am finding problem by deduction!

She starts fine with a bit of gas for a few seconds....

Have you checked the cold start air valve ? Take it off, put it in the deep freeze and check it after half an hour. It should be open. Then reconnect it, just the electrical plug, turn it on and it should gradually close. (11)

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=13&fg=15

Also you could try adjusting the idle air screw, close it (wind it right in) if it still idles you might have an air leak somewhere (unmetered air) or the cold start air valve is not closing . Also make sure the vane in the AFM is not sticking when its cold. Make sure the vane operates smoothly throughout the full range of movement.

Edited by *Glenn*

Try what Glenn says first but if it doesn't work I can have a hunt in the garage and see what I've got. I won't have time to do it 'till the w/end, I don't think.

If you do need it, you can have what I've got since I have no idea if they work (have never had that engine running).

Righto so grabbed a working sensor off Brent today, and in the absence of a good AFM, I adjusted my own one until she ran sweet in the different situations that she used to be a bit rough.

The starting problem is definitely related to cold start valve..... Generally she starts fine when properly warm, but leave her for long enough or until cold and instead of starting; she will fire and then die immediately.

Disconnecting either the cold start injector's plug, or the thermo time sensor's plug fixes this problem.

As brent suggested today, could it be flooding at startup?

A point to note is that when the old dead thermo- time sensor was still in, she did NOT start very easily at ALL when fully cold at 7am etc

Edited by nath

Mine used to be pretty bad like this (m10 e30). I cleaned up the distributor rotor point and dizzy cap points with a bit of fine grit paper and it made a huge difference - it snatches much earlier and settles into idle sooner.

Worth a try if you haven't done this already, but as an old hand bimmersporter I bet "check dizzy cap" was the first thing you thought of ;).

Edited by tastic