Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

How to take photos of your car.

Hi guys,

I'm not the best at taking photos, infact your more likely to find more photos of my thumb than you will of everything else.

Anyone here with a mind for photography care to make a guide to profiling your BMW and put it in a sticky so that people who wanna post their car up in the rides section can have a base to work from, because honestly some of the photos up there are really well done.

I mean sure it sounds easy but when it comes to doing it what are some tips to help newbies like me out. Everyone loves seeing peoples rides, but when you have good photos it makes it so much better.

Whats the best time of day ?

Whats the best backdrop ?

Where should the light be coming from ?

Flash on / Flash off ?

Sun behind ?

Infront of some buildings or behind something that makes the car stand out more ?

there are many more questions but I hope you guys can answer them without being asked :). (cos im a lazy boy)

cheers

Andy.

Edited by E30stz

i rekon the trick to getting good pictures in good lighting and not to take pictures of it at ur eye level if u know wat i mean? so like trying different angles like high and down low make the picture more enjoyable to look at

also having good senery around the car makes it even better and heaps of small things count to make a picture really good

Whats the best time of day ?

Whats the best backdrop ?

Where should the light be coming from ?

Flash on / Flash off ?

Sun behind ?

Infront of some buildings or behind something that makes the car stand out more ?

a real nice time to do photos i hav seen is really early in the morning or just at dusk when its kind of dark but its still light always looks good

best back drop is only really limited to ur imagination .. just go for a drive and find a place where u think it would be good for a picture

light is always best when comming behind you.. everyone knows not to take pictures when your facing the sun co it will come out sh*t

guess with flash or not is up to u

if u hav a digi cam just hav a little go with and without flash and u will see which comes out better

backdrops: randoms places....

Industrial areas, container yards, anything...

we took some at a bp even once, came out mean, down at feilding train station, outside a closed down taxidermists, anywhere, something in the background thats interesting is the key IMHO

with a camera?

as a rule of thumb, light cars in the daylight, dark cars in early morn or evening, otherwise you miss all the detail

photos on tarmac, stay away from grass your cars not a horse

make sure its clean!

all windows up, nothing in the background making it look like its growing out ya car

dave takes good car pics, try different looking angles, instead of plain horizontal and vertical side views and front ons....they good for being informative, but look pretty crap most of the time

driving ones are my fav...car and driver together are always mean

just practice and enjoy yaself

Yup... pretty much just practice and some imagination would do the trick !

driving ones are my fav...car and driver together are always mean

It all depends on how photogenic the driver is of course... :lol: Edited by bravomikewhiskey