Sign in to follow this  
JaseNZ

Outside temp sensor.

My outside temp sensor although working ok seems to come up or down in temp very very slowly. I am just wondering if perhaps it has fallen out of its holder. I remember my one on my e36 did.

I have read other posts about its position ect but these were cars in the states,would mine be on the opposite side if mine is a right hand drive ??. Would it be on the right hand side or would it still be on the left hand side.

From my understanding its in the brake cooling duct is this correct. If i remove my wheel would i be able to see it up in the duct ?.

Looking from the front of the car through the duct i cannot seem to see it that's all.

mine is tucked away on the right hand side (drivers side) on my E36

it wasn't exactly in it's correct place though, I found it dangling down just behind the bumper one day when cleaning it

so I taped it up behind the bumper with some duct tape lol

Yeah mine was on the passengers side on the e36, The 46 however looks like its mounted behind the fog light within the wheel arch.

Stick your hand under the front bumper, you should feel it there.

There one on each side under the foglights, I think the one on the passenger side is the temp, not sure what the one on the drivers side does. The two are completely different shapes.

Does this make any sence at all???ha

Gonna have a look tomorrow, Have to take the engine splash guard off to get up under the bumper.

The one on the passenger side in the e36 is ext temp for the obc, drivers side is temp for heated windscreen washer nozzles.

fwiw, when I put my passenger side one in (had been missing) it took a couple of hours to get into positive figures (from about -37C). I think they're supposed to take a while to avoid weird readings?

Cheers for that found it no problems, I think you are right they do not seem to read as quick as my old e36 but thats ok.

Another question, I only noticed today when i went out the car in garage and turned the lights on the beam swung down and then back up again, Appears i have the self leveling headlights, I thought these were only on the later model cars. Whats the deal with these anyway they are ment to self level why ??, would it not be easier like on my old e36 where you could manual control them. The ever moving forward technology i guess.

Edited by M-Spec

its for when you have a trailer hooked on or your mother in law in the back seat (no experience with either) and the back end drops down so the headlights correct them selves to compensate

Only Xenon cars have self adjusting headlamps afaik.

Everytime time the lights are switched on, the adjuster motors do what must be a limit of travel check.

Only Xenon cars have self adjusting headlamps afaik.

My E53 doesn't have the Xenon headlamps and it has auto adjusters i.e when you turn the lights on they go up and down to find the level, you can also adjust this manually. If thats what you meant?

Was not worried about adjusting them, Was more curious on the feature, Further research on real oem shows a sensor back and front on the suspension that sets the corresponding level.