Sign in to follow this  
lila275

overheating, brakes sticking

Hi all, 535i 1987 beema, when im idiling in traffic or going slow the car overheats to the point where it starts struggling to go anywhere...changed the thermostat and water pump, got a head gasket checked-good but still no luck, also the brakes start sticking once it overheats, when I leave for awhile goes back to normal

Hi all, 535i 1987 beema, when im idiling in traffic or going slow the car overheats to the point where it starts struggling to go anywhere...changed the thermostat and water pump, got a head gasket checked-good but still no luck, also the brakes start sticking once it overheats, when I leave for awhile goes back to normal

Had the radiator checked? If the radiator core is blocked it could easily cause this.... or if the fan isnt working...

the brakes stick when it overheats??????? how hot exactly is it getting?

i would imagen if it is so hot it is struggiling to make any power then you may aswell spread butter on it and eat it.

As for your overheating i would say either radiator, fan, w/p or thermostat.

as for your brakes i cant say ive heard of sticking brakes related to engine temp. cant help you there.

As you say it is only when idling in traffic etc, that kinda leans it towards being the fan clutch..

Describe the brakes situation too. Sounds odd?

As you say it is only when idling in traffic etc, that kinda leans it towards being the fan clutch..

Describe the brakes situation too. Sounds odd?

Hey cheers for the feed back I'll try all the above and update how I get on,hopefully for the better.

Hey cheers for the feed back I'll try all the above and update how I get on,hopefully for the better.

how about the other option/brakes sticking leading to the overheating.?