Sign in to follow this  
khairul23

Heater climate control not functioning properly

The climate control for the driver's side of my E39 is not functioning properly. The air that comes from all the three outlets (for the windscreen, body, and legs) are cooler than I expect it should. For example when I set the temperature to both driver and passenger to 22 degrees, the air that comes out for the driver is much cooler than that for the passenger. When I upped the temp to 25 for the driver, still no difference in the air.

Any thoughts what could be the problem, and whether it's a cheap or expensive fix?

I would firstly suspect a faulty heater tap duo valve. The rubber diaphrams inside the valves that control temperature to L/H & R/H collapse and effect water flow. If the cooling system has a leak that can also affect the way the system operates

If the cooling system has a leak that can also affect the way the system operates

Wouldn't that affect both sides, and not just the driver's?

No1 in the first diagram... but it needs to be checked properly first. It may not be that

Thanks. Seems I need to take the car to a workshop.

Thanks. Seems I need to take the car to a workshop.

I have a similar but different problem. My car blows the same temperature air out of both sides (I always have the temp set the same for both) but seems to always blow hot air out of the windscreen and floor vents, regardless of the temperature I set. Even if its 16 degrees they still blow hot air. If I turn the AC on it is colder but its still a combination of the hot and the AC air.

The only way I get cold air is to set the little dial on the centre vents to cold, set the air to only come out of those vents (eg turn the other vents off) and turn the AC on.

Coming into winter its not really an issue but it would be nice to find the cause and have cold air out of the floor and the windscreen vents.

Any ideas what this could be? Can I test it somehow or is it a matter of replacing parts until it works properly?

Cheers

Matt