Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

FastLaneDaily: Alex Roy "Is BMW the new GM?"

I for one agree that I would rather have a 2001 model BMW than anything from the current offerings.

Havent watched the video yet, but i'd say that Mercedes was the first 'new GM' and now bmw..... By that I refer to the new models they manage to slip in between existing ones, and inventing new classes such as the X6..... who's running gear may as well have been put into the X5?

I agree totally.

Im open minded and would have to agree that BMW have lost the premium feel they once had, I went car shopping with my old lady last year and after a day of driving three and one series she decided to keep her 1999 328i, now she has had new three series since the E30 and in her opinion the current high end three feels a less premium product than then her current ten year old E46, the one series felt less premium than our Holden Astra and had a lot less kit for twice the price (38k vs. 76k).

I would agree that BMW reached a pinnacle in the early noughts, Its not that they have got worse I think it’s just the competition has got a whole lot better, combine that with BMW’s bland new styling and you struggle to see the appeal of them over cheaper competition, compare a 2000 three series to a 2000 Mazda 626 or Honda accord then compare a 2010 Three series to a 2010 Mazda 6 or new accord Euro.

I do think the 5 and 7 are street ahead though.

I agree. I blame the US tho'. If americans didn't want things like the 1 series, X1, X3, X6, 6 series and the Z's then BMWs range would be smaller and therefore they would get back to some form of exclusivtivity (sp?).