Sign in to follow this  
nickchin1308

Recommend tyre for an E39?

Gudday,

Got a question for u guys about tyres.

Since I bought my E39 530i they already had Durun Sport one tyres on it, the thread on it looks pretty impressive but I personally think it is sh*t coz its loud, bouncy and its not wearing out properly. I m thinkin of changin tyres n the local Firestone recommend some Bridgestone Adrenalin Potenza for $920. What do u guys think about the Potenza n do u guys recommend any other tyres?

Cheers

Nick :D

Hi Nick

The Durun's definitely fall in to the bottom end of the tyre market. I am guessing they have scalloped pretty badly as that is what tends to cause the noise on cheaper tyres. If the ride is 'bouncy' it may pay to get your shocks checked out. Worn shocks will cause irregular wear on the tyres, as the shock is not working properly and the tyre tends to absorb the bumps rather than the shock itself.

What sort of driving do you do? Are you doing a lot of commuting/touring type driving? Or are you a bit of a "weekend warrior" that loves a bit of 'spirited driving'? :D

What size tyre are you looking for?

Hi Nick

The Durun's definitely fall in to the bottom end of the tyre market. I am guessing they have scalloped pretty badly as that is what tends to cause the noise on cheaper tyres. If the ride is 'bouncy' it may pay to get your shocks checked out. Worn shocks will cause irregular wear on the tyres, as the shock is not working properly and the tyre tends to absorb the bumps rather than the shock itself.

What sort of driving do you do? Are you doing a lot of commuting/touring type driving? Or are you a bit of a "weekend warrior" that loves a bit of 'spirited driving'? :D

What size tyre are you looking for?

Hey mate

thanks for the advise, yea the durun is pretty worned out especially the back ones maybe coz of my constant foot down accelerations lol ^_^ well I use the car everyday for school and do about 20km a day, haha yes i m definately into some 'spirited driving' and the tyre sizes are 235 45 17 94W.

Hi molehole1308,

Have Goodyear F1's on the front and traveled 62,000km on them so far. The rear had GT radials champiro HPZ-45 97w and they did 60,000km only had to replace them because they scrubbed the inside edge of the Tyre out due to incorrect rear suspension angles. Have replaced them with the HPX GT radial 97w as they no longer make the HPZ's this gives me a good quiet ride and reasonable tyre life.

Have found that maintaining the correct pressures on an E39 will help you get the most out of your rubber we all like a spirited drive now and again but if you are lead footed them nothing will prevent excessive wear taking place.

Allan

I've fitted the Toyo Proxes C1S which were recommended by Jono at fitted by Courtney at the Chch store of Mag n Tyre Direct.

Far less road noise than my previous German Fuldas and not as harsh a ride either. Very smooth ride and no tracking (the tread has quite big spacing in some places).

Good price with BS discount - thanks Jono

3pedals - Sweet, just wondering coz all my 4 tyres are the same size, is it better or something for the 2 rear tyres to be bigger eg 255 like urs , pressures are 38psi atm for all 4 n i also figured out why it gets bumpy when u do about 110, its coz of the tyre grrr sh*t duruns <_<

Edited by molehole1308