Sign in to follow this  
deane30

Shudder between 80-90Kmh

1988 e30 320i facelift

Auto

sedan

Over easter my car developed a "shudder" when accelerating between ~80-90Kmh. It is much more noticable when accelerating slowley and I have not noticed it at any other speeds.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? Tyres are ~1 year old and all in good nick.

Cheers

Guibo,driveshaft,warped rotors,Alignment,buckled rim,wheel balance,bushes

Edit-& not being funny-check the wheel nuts are tight

Edited by 1rotty

Wheel balance is a common problem and or those weights used to balance your tyres/rims. i've had one of those come of before and messed up the balance, but as mark said it could be a number of things!

Check your gearbox mounts

Guibo,driveshaft,warped rotors,Alignment,buckled rim,wheel balance,bushes

Edit-& not being funny-check the wheel nuts are tight

Can warped rotors cause a shudder while driving? I know for sure my front rotors are warped as the steering wheel goes nuts when i apply the brakes softly, but I only thought it affected the car whilst braking. I to have the shudder, and have had driveshaft, wheel bearings etc fiiiiiiinally checked properly, but they are all ok. My car has the basic straight through driveshaft being a heap of s**t Jatco box x] so no guibo disc or anything like that.

check the wheel nuts are tight

been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

make sure they are torqued up nice.

even check the bolts that go from the output shafts to the diff, they are prone to coming loose often, ask me how I know :P

even check the bolts that go from the output shafts to the diff, they are prone to coming loose often, ask me how I know :P

..or me.. one snapped, two bent and three completely lost bolts and a screwed CV later... on the Wellington Motorway too :(

Thanks guys. The balances are still on all the rims and all the tyre pressures are good. I'll tighten all the wheel nuts tonight.

Yesterday when I first turned the car on it would not go into gear (i.e. I would slide the selector down into D or R and nothing would happen). I turned the car off and on again and everything was fine. Don mentioned it could be the gearbox mount. Do you think this could be related?

If the shudder occurs at around the 2,000rpm range, it could be the torque convertor lock up clutch. This produces a shudder through the car and you can feel it through the seat of your pants

If the shudder occurs at around the 2,000rpm range, it could be the torque convertor lock up clutch. This produces a shudder through the car and you can feel it through the seat of your pants

Will this get worse if ignored, with a catastrophic failure?

I'm going to take it in to get the wheels re-balanced and if that doesn;t work I think it will be off to the workshop

Thansk for teh replies guys

Will this get worse if ignored, with a catastrophic failure?

It will never get better by itself. If attended to immediately it might not require a complete strip of the trans & a rebuild. It depends on what damage is inside the torque convertor. This needs to be assesed first

It will never get better by itself. If attended to immediately it might not require a complete strip of the trans & a rebuild. It depends on what damage is inside the torque convertor. This needs to be assesed first

thanks Glenn

been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

make sure they are torqued up nice.

Can I get one of these t shirts lol?