Sign in to follow this  
kiwi328i

e36 motorsport bumper insert

Hi guys,

I knew I should have bought it off trademe a while ago, but has anyone got a decent secondhand one of these hanging around? You know the part below the license plate, great whopping hole that usually has either mesh or slats.

PM me if you need to otherwise all comments welcome. It should look like this one.

Cheers Lionel

have half of that type in your pic , and a mesh one with some damage if thats any use to you .

post-279-1271620178.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Hi guys,

I knew I should have bought it off trademe a while ago, but has anyone got a decent secondhand one of these hanging around? You know the part below the license plate, great whopping hole that usually has either mesh or slats.

PM me if you need to otherwise all comments welcome. It should look like this one.

Cheers Lionel

Take the front bumper off, remove that 'grided' section from there and buy some mesh from supercheap - looks just as good if not better. Below is a pic of mine which i did using this method. I also meshed the fog lights too to be different!

post-1740-1271627532.jpg

Take the front bumper off, remove that 'grided' section from there and buy some mesh from supercheap - looks just as good if not better. Below is a pic of mine which i did using this method. I also meshed the fog lights too to be different!

You're right that does look good, how did you mount the mesh?

You're right that does look good, how did you mount the mesh?

I mounted the mesh exactly the same way the standard insert mounts. There are little 'nipples' that stick out on the inside of the bumper and small clips which go over them to lock it into place. It sounds more difficult than it is!! Once the bumper is removed you'll see exactly how it works!

Did you buy another set of wheels

Did you buy another set of wheels

Haha nah don't have these anymore - bought off trademe a while back, but when i had them put on the car and spun up on the balance machine we found they were f**ked! Buckles and flat spots! So i gave them back to the previous owner... Lesson learnt... They did look quite cool though!

also i can order in new grill and bumper trim inserts as a kit about $120

The middle trim bit with the "BMW stamp" included?

I am trying to do everything secondhand for now, cause I like to restore or reuse old stuff anyhow but sh*t that is cheap, if I dont have any joy I will let you know for sure. Is the grill you speak of, the grill that I am after the slat type? and the inserts are the 4 smallish black textured moulded plastic bodymould strips? Thats cheap. I am working on mine at the mo, I have it down at the plastic repairers, bought a secondhand m-sport bumper and it needs a sh*t load of work. The strips are covered in layers of paint, but I might be able to strip them without killing the textured pattern...I hope. The bumper has no braking vents or those nifty rivets to attach it to the 'bar' either, so can you help there? oh yeah it doesnt have one of the side attachments that are factory glued on I think the right hand side, can I use my old one or is it m-sport bumper specific. Here is an image of the side bracket.

same as in my pic .

no bmw logo in the centre . but i might have a spare one of those at work ??

post-279-1271675803.jpg