Sign in to follow this  
bigrob

Coolant Leak on e46

Was driving this morning and low coolant light comes up on dash, topped up levels and noticed general area around coolant tank was wet. Drove back home (about 5km) and coolant light comes on again. This time when I opened the hood steam was gushing out of some kind of valve I suppose (looks like a hole on a coolant pipe just behind the cap on the coolant expansion tank) The steam continued gushing out for another 2-3 minutes after turning off the engine. Checked the temp gauge & was about half way up, more or less were it usually is. Any one with an idea what to expect when I visit my mechanic tomorrow?

plastic expansion tank has cracked my guess, it happend to mine

Edited by APT

^++11 most common failure to the e46.

Another look under the hood in daylight and a bit of time searching the net has led to the discovery that a 'vent screw' is missing (broken/fell off) on the coolant pipe just behind the expansion tank.

Another look under the hood in daylight and a bit of time searching the net has led to the discovery that a 'vent screw' is missing (broken/fell off) on the coolant pipe just behind the expansion tank.

Common...replace the hose. The expansion tank, radiator, water pump & thermostat should be checked as well