Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

New 318is, transmission area is leaking water!

well not quite new, but bought the missus a 92 318is coupe with a know trans issue...it has the, when cold and you stop slips into nuetral for a few seconds before engaging gear and what seems like the jatco jerk between 1st and second also when cold. I also noticed that when warm and the cooling system is under pressure there is a small water leak from around the auto transmission area.

It's in good condition and we got it for a steal, i will prob eventually get around to a manual conversion but what i'm wondering is are there cooling hoses around there or does the bmw box use water too cool the trans...I have not put it up on stands and had a good look as we only got it last night and i'm now at work but gonna get under there tonight...any suggestions which may help me what to look for is appreciated.

Edited by cliffdunedin

The 4 cylinder engines are renowned for water leakage from rear water housing fittings and also corrosion in the blocks between the head and block. The gearbox does not have any water fittings or galleries

check the little plastic pipe that comes from the back of the block/head area going to the heater tap,

well known for cracking

I found the problem, it was a hose that was stuffed from what i'm assuming the heater to a connecter/splitter at the back of the manifold...very fiddly job but got it done.

I want to check my other 318i's hoses as well, but am wondering if there is an easier way to get behind there instead of pulling the manifold out...it seems if i can take the air filter thingy majig(sorry don't know what it's called) :rolleyes: at the top rear of the engine bay it would be much easier!

Is this possible guys??

EDIT: after taking it for a run this morning to drop the missus too work i noticed that the heater is not blowing hot air. Almost like the hot/cold switch is staying on cold...is there something i may have done while changing the hose?? Cheers

Edited by cliffdunedin