Sign in to follow this  
bmwNewbe

e46 noise from rear

hi i have an e46 320d and when i put the car into gear theres a low clunk noise comes from the rear and also sometimes when changing gear. i asume its the diff so was wondering is there any known faults and or fixes.

Hydraulic rear diff mount. You need to remove the diff to do it and you cant fit the new ones without a factury tool or you will damage it. Even with the right tool they sometimes will leak and you have to do them again.

Edited by *Glenn*

Yep sounds like the diff, do you maintain your car well? If there's a seal and oil has leaked your diff may well be done for...best bet would be to take it in and get it professionally checked.

Yep sounds like the diff, do you maintain your car well? If there's a seal and oil has leaked your diff may well be done for...best bet would be to take it in and get it professionally checked.

It's the mount.. not the diff. It presses into the subframe and requires the diff to be removed to do it.

It's the mount.. not the diff. It presses into the subframe and requires the diff to be removed to do it.

thanks for the quick replys, been coming to the conclusion its deeper than the diff,i do maintain the car myself but ive only had it 2 months, checked the clutch travel,drag and play and its perfect so went next to the prop and everything there seams tight and tidy too,so went to the diff its self and its dry with no leaks so looked at the frame and the main mounting points seam to be fine although i havent that much experiance on rear wheel drive.

didnt see the top mount as it had started to get dark and i hadnt a light so ill get alook tomorrow,is there any visable signs or ways of testing the top mounts.

i take it the mount your talking about must also act as a damper hence somtimes sounding whilst changing gear.

Its exactly what glenn says it is. I replaced mine after the same problem. Its a long job and requires the right tools. Something I got done professionally.

Its exactly what glenn says it is. I replaced mine after the same problem. Its a long job and requires the right tools. Something I got done professionally.

They are a barstard to do. Even with the factory tool you can fit one & they'll leak and you have to do it all over again. Early E46's had a solid rubber one and now you can only buy and fit the oil filled hydraulic ones. I cringe doing them because you can fit one at a quoted price and the job can end up costing us if we have to do the job again.

BTW: You can't do it with FBH either

Edited by *Glenn*

They are a barstard to do. Even with the factory tool you can fit one & they'll leak and you have to do it all over again. Early E46's had a solid rubber one and now you can only buy and fit the oil filled hydraulic ones. I cringe doing them because you can fit one at a quoted price and the job can end up costing us if we have to do the job again.

so far there is only a faint clunk,only noticed it as i work on cars for a living,although be it is mostly common ford pug cit etc uk spec. im gussing it is only on the way out as its faint. normal person probably wouldnt notice it yet so what im getting at is if i left it for now how bad would it get and could it do anything bad to the car.

ive only had the car a few months and only ended up with it as a part exchange for an ST Focus so ive decided to keep it as its quite a good car,been well enough looked after but even at that ive just been sorting out the common things that i can come across like the front bushes rear h/brake shoes etc so if i can put it off for i while i will.lol.