Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

M40B18 Tick?

had some time today and decided to pull out my 318i for bit a spruce up and its got a bit of ticking going on and want to get your opinion. I know on M20s its quite common, but im not sure about the M40, it has only done 115xxx kms. It quietens down once the car is warmed up, but its still there, and noticeable on acceleration. Is automatic if that matters.

Also how to you fix idle amount on the M40? Same idea as the M20? (didnt actually spend any time looking to be honest so if its obvious sorry!). Its around 600 and doesnt seem to like it, and a 2 second search on google says it should be around the 750 mark. Edit: 600 in drive and on the brake, rises to 650 in neutral and has a more solid but still lumpy idle)

thanks! Andy

Edited by ethrty320

I'm only guessing from your description .... might be your EWS relay

checked that B)

checked that B)

Good boy... It'll be lifters, worn cam or a broken sump gasket around the oil gallery that allows the oil to be airated by sucking oil & air throught the oil pick up gallery in the sump. Airated oil compresses and does provide proper hydraulic operation.

Edited by *Glenn*

is that likely to happen on a low kms engine like this one though? Your saying that it does provide adequate lubrication.. so suggesting i just leave it alone? Should i check valve clearances or anything like that?

Depends on how well it's been serviced. Most likely hydraulic lifters.

No valve clearances to be checked, has hydraulic lifters.

^oh righteo! Rookie mistake!

Was having a troll before and found some people suggesting to check the 'spray bar' isnt clogged up with crap.. Is that the same as the thin piece of metal that is inside the M20 head? how would i go about testing that, as its says to 'clean' it, but wouldnt that be hard given the channels in it probably are quite narrow?

Edit: and if that bar is fine, should the hydraulic lifters be replaced or just left? tbh i dont really know exactly what they do.. i havent had the need to play around an M40 before, nor with a head of any engine before so i dont know the details of how they work (i do have a broad idea)

Edited by ethrty320

I just take it off, and use brake clean or similar untill it runs clean.

seems easy enough :)

did you see my edit above? really appreciate the help!

Most likely the lifters, do a search to find how to clean them, or Repco and such sell an additive which works some times, Pro something, can't remember.

Sweet ill pop down next week and see if i can find what your talking about :)

Ill let you know how i get on (if i remember to post haha)

I use MBL8 additive when I do an oil change, keeps my M40's lifters quiet. Can get it from Mitsubishi dealerships parts departments, and have seen it on TradeMe too.