Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

M60 Woes

Sounds bad ay.. I was terrified at first but I THINK it's nothing serious...

Anyhow, the M60 is leaking oil all over my garage (Only a few drips a day but still annoying as hell). The idle is also a bit rough and car does not seem to start up smoothly, sometimes even taking several seconds before it fires up.

Traced the leak back to the left side of the engine coming out of a hole at the back of the intake manifold (visible when removing the rocker cover). Have done a wee bit of reading and I think this is the intake manifold cover or PCV?

post-1976-1273658631.jpg

Initially I thought that a hose was suppose to connect up to it or something however according to the diagram M60's don't have anything connected up there.

After more research it seems that ALL my issues are linked to the one fault... a faulty PCV valve!?

Article 1

How to fix

Just wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue and if my assumptions are correct here?

Edited by crazyarab

well if your pcv valve has come off and you are leaking oil out the hole then it is safe to assume that your rough idle/ hard starting is the airleak from the pcv valve hose.

well if your pcv valve has come off and you are leaking oil out the hole then it is safe to assume that your rough idle/ hard starting is the airleak from the pcv valve hose.

The other question is, should I be really worried about driving it in this condition?

The other question is, should I be really worried about driving it in this condition?

it will soon start blowing lots of smoke...certainly sounds like the pcv valve,common m 60 problem

it will soon start blowing lots of smoke...certainly sounds like the pcv valve,common m 60 problem

Yeh, will be getting the issue addressed tomorrow hopefully :)

Fingers crossed it's not too costly..

comon issue in a m60 /m62 engine , took me about 40mins to do the last one in a e34 530i v8 . maybe take a little longer in a tight e30 engine bay

Guest Simon*

Had mine replaced a while ago too. Not a major

Oil has a habit of seeping and pooling, so check the likes of rocker cover gaskets too. I had a tiny leak there

Quick question, is there supposed to be a tube going from the end of the valve to the front of the intake manifold??

Just bought one from Gavin.

Not too costly.

Cheers,

Ian

Just bought one from Gavin.

Not too costly.

Cheers,

Ian

The tube or the valve? I'm still not convinced the tube even exists for the M60.. From what I can tell it's just a pressure release outlet and is not connected up to anything although some I have spoken to seem to think otherwise.

Edited by crazyarab

Check out this pic - http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....st&p=341730

It's the big black thing top right

Yeh, sweet definitely what I need! Can you give me details of where I can get one / cost?

So nothing connects up to the end of the PCV valve outlet is what I mean right..

I just had a look at mine - there is nothing connected to that pipe

Will PM, just going to grab receipt.

Edited by Creaver - STOK3D

Ok so everything that could go wrong has with this repair has <_<

1. The very first Torx bolt I tried to remove (thankfully the most accessible one) got rounded.. this guy was not kidding when he said they are really easy to bugger up! For those that have done this before, what size bolts are used? I tried a T30 size which was too big and the T27 fit but had a wee bit of play and hence buggered it..

2. Then I had a closer look at the current PCV and it turns out I ordered the wrong part.. although my Engine is an M60 it seems that I have the PCV of an M62? This engine actually came out of a very early model E39 so I guess it must have had a few upgraded bits and bobs. Inspecting the M62 diagram it seems that the connector is in fact a separate piece so I'm assuming re-ordering an M62 one should do the trick (can someone confirm this please).

3. And if all that was not bad enough, turns out the oil seep could not have possibly come out of the hole I thought as there is no hole lol, as you can see in the pics it's blocked. So it's back to square one trying to figure out where the oil is seeping from.. perhaps the intake manifold gasket needs to be checked.

post-1976-1273889114.jpg

post-1976-1273891397.jpg

post-1976-1273891117.jpg

post-1976-1273889207.jpg

:(

Edited by crazyarab

Oops, probably should read more carefully...

The picture also shows an additional pipe that is fitted to the new bellows housing, this needs blocking off on the 730i's but is used on the 740i's for the brake system, I used a blind grommet which fitted snugly which was then covered in heatshrink and shrunk in position for security...

Also, had a closer look at the PCV and the valve releases the pressure from a small hole at the bottom of the housing which is directly above where the oil is pooling.. so perhaps it's still the PCV that's to blame!

Edited by crazyarab

Any oil from the rocker covers or front timing cover gaskets will pool in the valley and run back into the area you have arrowed in your diagram. However it won't cause you your engine running issues. No8 is for brake booster with vacuum brakes and blanked off on cars running hydraulic boosters. Maybe the sh*t grommet fell off No8 and that can cause your running issues. Is your car running a vacuum booster ?

Edited by *Glenn*

Any oil from the rocker covers or front timing cover gaskets will pool in the valley and run back into the area you have arrowed in your diagram. However it won't cause you your engine running issues. No8 is for brake booster with vacuum brakes and blanked off on cars running hydraulic boosters. Maybe the sh*t grommet fell off No8 and that can cause your running issues. Is your car running a vacuum booster ?

Mmm, good point. Well, I'll get it out and inspect it closer anyhow. I don't have any brake booster at the moment :ph34r:

the engine was form a e38 740i .

when you buy a new pcv valve , they cme with that conector , just black it off with a short piece of hose and stick a bolt in it , or buy a rubber gromet etc

What a mission.. finally have the new PCV installed!

It's running like a sewing machine :)

Who would have thought it could cause so much grief.

I have a fully rebuilt high output M30b35 engine available if you want to replace that M60 engine :P

I have a fully rebuilt high output M30b35 engine available if you want to replace that M60 engine :P

Haha!