Sign in to follow this  
speedy63

Good driving roads near Auckland

Hi all, I'm pretty new to the Auckland area. Finally got a free weekend coming up tomorrow and am looking for some good driving roads nearby. Closer to the city is better, but I'm interested in anything doable in a day trip. What suggestions have you all got?

you could all ways try the roads out west of Waiuku going north up the Manukau harbour.

great run , and not many cars on the road . Call into the markets on Sundays mornings .

If you want a quick blat Scenic Drive is quite good.

I doubt getting stuck behind someone is a worry for a V10 :P

Going for a drive along the coast from Howick to Kaiaua Bay is great. And usually much quieter than the roads out West or up North. And the Fish n' Chip shop in Kaiaua is one of NZ's best.

Howick to Kaiaua Road Map

Edited by driftit

Whitford, East Auckland. Head out past Beachlands, then through Maraetai. Get to Duders and turn right onto North Road to Clevedon. Do a quick loop around the locally infamous Twilight Rd and West Rd that are just out of Clevedon. Head East out of Clevedon onto Clevedon-Kawakawa Rd. Carry on past the Orere Point turnoff until you reach Kaiaua, then either take Miranda or Kaiaua Rd back inland to SH1 or repeat above but in reverse.

Simply, what Dan said ^...

Edited by Quailboy

Beat you to it man. There is a map in my link.

I forgot .

You can try going east to Maraetai Bay ( stop for lunch ) follow the coast around to Kawa Kawa Bay over the hill to Matingarahi , down the coast (Stopping to have a feed of fish &chips on the way )Where you can go for a swim at Miranda Hot pools ,

or carry on down to Waitakaruru and join up with State hi-way 25 , then

state hi-way 2 up the Bombays and home .

I was to slow .........................

Edited by rich

But if you got lotts of time on your hands , do the coromandel run

Going for a drive along the coast from Howick to Kaiaua Bay is great. And usually much quieter than the roads out West or up North. And the Fish n' Chip shop in Kaiaua is one of NZ's best.

Howick to Kaiaua Road Map

+1 thats a mint drive over that way.

But if you got lotts of time on your hands , do the coromandel run

Actually, combine these. I did the coro loop last w/end on my bike leaving from Maraetai where I live. Didn't take long at all hah.

Keen on a cruise?? Any excuse for a backroad blat.

Im doing Targa Rotorua next month, much safer and more fun as the roads are closed.

Whitford, East Auckland. Head out past Beachlands, then through Maraetai. Get to Duders and turn right onto North Road to Clevedon. Do a quick loop around the locally infamous Twilight Rd and West Rd that are just out of Clevedon. Head East out of Clevedon onto Clevedon-Kawakawa Rd. Carry on past the Orere Point turnoff until you reach Kaiaua, then either take Miranda or Kaiaua Rd back inland to SH1 or repeat above but in reverse.

Simply, what Dan said ^...

I"m soo sick of that drive... It seams like if your a car club and you want to go for a drive you have to do that road and stop at that fish and chip shop...

Do the Corromandle loop then.

If you haven't gone yet, an 850 could be interested in joining. How's 2 extra cylinders for ya eh~~? :P

Jokes. You guys will have to wait up for me, I'll probably have a lot of trouble in the twisties.