Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

I need a GPS

Tom Tom 920 ... Bought new off eBay US with all the maps of Europe, America, Oz & NZ preloaded on its hard drive for the same price as you have just paid ... I have used it in every continent and have had no issue with it. Just plug & play for updates on line.

Something else I learnt today that I think I should share while doing my research. Never use your real address as "HOME" on your GPS. Use next door or the neighbours house accross the road as your street address. Especially if you don't have screen lock. If they break into your car when your out they can then go to your house and do it over while your still out at a night club or the pictures etc..etc..

That's a very good point. I've actually set my "HOME" 2 blocks away.

Anyway, after using 4 generations of Navman in the past 5 years, I have now switched to TomTom 340 about a month ago. Reason being...

1. Navman vs TomTom, both works well, but in some areas TomTom edges out and shows that TomTom did think about the users a bit more. For example, at night time my TomTom unit reflect A LOT less than the Navman on the windscreen. I can PIN lock and show owner info on the TomTom for security.

2. Navman quality is getting worse over the generations - They are not faulty, just made using lesser quality. Screen is now higher resolution but less legiable in the sun, especially comparing to the first generation iCN-series products. Maps are not as update as they say they are in Navman, I looked at the MY50 when I was deciding my upgrade, it didn't have the South Western motorway extension and some newer streets in Highbrook, which has been in use for over/almost a year where the whole range of TomTom unit has it.

3. In terms of User Interface, both TomTom and Navman are good. It does take a little getting used to especially if I am new to the brand. TomTom has more icons and options in the main screen which seems daunting at first, but now that I got used to them, they actually helps me set advance options (diversion, multi-destinations,etc..) more easily.

4. TomTom has map community to share new info which I think it's the only brand that does it. New POI, speed limit, turn restrictions, etc... are updated free of charge.

--------------

Map updates...

Really, before GPS comes along, how often do you buy a new map book? Rather than buying map updates, save the money and buy a new map book every year as back up.

Edited by my_e36

Glenn - "decent size screen" - should have got an E46/38/39 with OEM monitor <_<

I know where your coming from Grant :P

I also needed one that I can swap from car to car with ease. I also looked at the Tomtom 340 but I preferred the screen and layout on the Navman. I needed one that I could use without having to put my glasses on, I

have the same problem with mobile phones and thats why I just got a new mobile recently .

$129 isn't alot for updates, they don't come out every couple of months. I'll have a play and if I don't like it I'll put it on Tardme and get something else :D

You should have seen the route Cathy the Irish TomTom lady took Ollie, Andy and myself home from Manfield. We were in our 540's towing the racecars. Roads would be wicked for the hardest Targa Rally ever.

As above those TomToms are random in the Manawatu I have had three friends visit using them over the saddle road from Woodville, instead of straight a head, Colyton road from Feilding to Ashhurst, vinegar hill coming from anywhere north, they look for the shortest route not neccesarily the best.

To be honest... I only wanted to get one so I could get home from work at night :P

I've found if you program the Navman to the fastest route not the shortest you get the best result.

Otherwise it will take you down epic b roads to save 500metres, Not giving any consideration to staying on highways etc. Fastest route tends to keep you on main roads