Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

BMW Motorsport team wins Nürburgring 24 hour race

Guest Simon*

Great result for BMW MS :)

Posted Image

BMW Motorsport's own team has won the 2010 24-hour endurance race at the Nürburgring-Nordschleife in Germany.

The winning BMW M3 GT2 wore the number 25 and was driven by Jörg Müller (Germany), Augusto Farfus (Brazil), Uwe Alzen (Germany) and Pedro Lamy (Portugal) who completed 154 laps on the 25.4 km circuit. This was the fifth Nordschleife victory for Lamy who is now tied for the all-time record with Marcel Tiemann of Germany.

BMW Motorsport Director Mario Theissen said in a press release: "That was a fantastic return for us at the 24-hour race here on the Nürburgring-Nordschleife...I have never known excitement like I experienced today."

It was a tense run-up to the victory for the team as the car experienced transmission problems near the end of the race and was losing one gear after another. Theissen credited the efforts of drivers Müller and Alzen in bringing the hobbled car in for a win.

"During my last stint we lost fourth gear. The problem gradually got worse. The main priority was to be careful and keep the car in the race. Everything worked out superbly in the end," said Müller after the race.

It was a strong showing for the Bavarian brand over all, with 63 of the 198 cars running in the race being BMWs. BMW Motorsport's second BMW M3 GT2, number 26, finished seventh while Schubert Motorsport and Dörr Motorsport finished fourth and ninth, respectively, each running a BMW Z4 GT3.

BMW Motorsport last won 24-hour race at the Nürburgring-Nordschleife in 2005.

Top Ten Results:

Pos No Make Laps Time

1 25 BMW M3 GT2 154 12:17.3

2 43 Ferrari F 430 GTC 154 09:33.0

3 97 Audi R8 LMS 153 09:32.7

4 76 BMW Z4 GT3 152 10:37.8

5 102 Audi R8 LMS 152 10:51.1

6 20 Porsche GT3 Cup S 151 09:27.5

7 26 BMW M3 GT2 150 10:52.5

8 18 Porsche GT3 Cup S 150 10:41.9

9 69 BMW Z4 GT3 149 10:04.7

10 35 Porsche 997 GT3 Cup 148 10:05.5

BMW Blog including Drivers' comments and pics

Full results - click "Press Release" for results table

Additionally "Kiwi Team Nürburgring" (KTN) won first and second in Class N2 with 2 Civic Type R's.

News and Official site

Blog and results here :)

Another excellent result in 24 Hour GT racing for BMW, adding to the rich history of Motorsport! Personally, I can't wait to see the first replica of the winning car in the BMW Open Series, it looks amazing, calling Barry K-B :D

Guest Ari Gold

E30, E46, E92 have all won the N24, I don't know why anyone else bothers :D

Yes, another victory for H&R suspension, have a look at the H&R website in the news archive, they have formed a partnership with BMW motorsport and so now all M3 GT2 BMW"s are fitted with H&R suspension EX-Works.