Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Big End or Dead Lifter ?

I am very aware of the m20's noisy lifters, but a m20b23 engine is making a very distinct knocking noise, it sounds similar to a big end, but ive had my fair share of big end problems and it doesnt quite sound like it.

I have accidentally (on another car) adjusted the valve clearances to the wrong measurements and when it started it made similar horrible knocking noises, so i was wondering, what would be a good way to confirm whether its top end or bottom end?

Where should I attach a stethoscope, i couldn't seem to get a clear sound when attaching it to multiple locations on the rocker cover, i have to remove the sump pan tomorrow to attach it to the sump. Any tips or advice ?

Has any one else had a dead lifter before ? Should i be placing the stethoscope to the block to get a more accurate sound ?

Jonathan

M20's don't have lifters.

Normal tappet noise is distinctive ticking & can easily be traced to source. Even worn cam should be easy to locate.

Big end sounds very "internal" & normally prevailent when snapping the throttle open.