Sign in to follow this  
gouba

Torque Wrench Recommendations

I am in the process of slowly building up my car. At the moment I am only doing general maintenance as I have only owned my car for abotu a month but I have a few plans in place down the line when time and cash is more readily available.

One of the general maintenance issues i have to sort out this weekend is adjusting the valves as the are noisy as hell. For that I need a decent torque wrench.

I checked out the required torque settings and had a look online and found this torque wrench from Sulco

http://www.sulco.co.nz/Product?Action=View...roduct_id=16388

Would the range 10-110nm cover 95% of what I would need to do within a rebuild? or do I need something more? ( or a second torque wrench in a higher range)

It would cover about 70% we have 3 different sizes to cover everything. You should also invest in a degree wheel as well for angle torquing.

Edited by *Glenn*

Happy to be corrected, but I believe torque wrenches like those are accurate more in the middle of their ranges.

Do you need one for a valve adjustment :o naughty me.

Happy to be corrected, but I believe torque wrenches like those are accurate more in the middle of their ranges.

Do you need one for a valve adjustment :o naughty me.

Funny you commented on this.

So I get to the place and find out that the range specified on the website wasnt accurate and was 19-110nm. So I ended up getting a little one were the 10nm wasn't at the extreme of the range.

I'll just have to get a bigger one later on (which suits me I having lots of tools)

That's the smart thing to do, IMHO. I've got 2x for that reason too.

Not sure where you are from, but Auckland Engineering supplies have a few options. I picked up a Teng one form there which does 12 - 100something nm and has a degree wheel on the head for doing head bolts and the like (what Glenn said). Was ~$90 with the bimmersport discount. Gl.

Recommend the Teng ones should you need to get one in the future. I use them and they're great... seems to be the consensus among others too. They're also listed on TradeMe.

What about Ampro brand? its same torque range as teng, 19nm to 110nm IIRC. its for 60 bucks on TM, but how about quality?

i have 3 teng tool torque wrenches, 1 1/4" drive, 1 3/8" drive and 1 1/2" had them checked and adjusted by some guy that came round work and did them... have never had any problems with them, am infact very happy with teng as they are the majority of my tools, have lasted me several years of full time use...

i had ampro as part of the kit from tec.... its OK, not as good as teng imo but there are worse out there. personally i would steer clear of it but it depends on ur budget i guess..

Edited by e30li