Sign in to follow this  
zoom-motorsports

e30 m20 b20 fl motor

any hits or tips on making my 320i motor a better performer with bolt on or tune up mods?

i dont want to go putting another motor in it for now would like to get the best from my b20 motor

any help would be sweet as.

Maintain it.

New spark plugs, fuel filter, belts, injector flush, oil change, new dizzy cap + rotor, check for oil + vac leaks, new air filter if it needs one etc etc

Other than that don't bother spending any money on it.

Manual or Auto?

hi its a manual and i have done all the basics oil chage plugs cam belt new vac hoses etc it does go quite well i recon :rolleyes: but just wanderd if there was any other things that could be done to it im a mechanic so can do all the bits my self. would a throttle body from a b25 motor bolt on must be slightly larger throat?

hi its a manual and i have done all the basics oil chage plugs cam belt new vac hoses etc it does go quite well i recon :rolleyes: but just wanderd if there was any other things that could be done to it im a mechanic so can do all the bits my self. would a throttle body from a b25 motor bolt on must be slightly larger throat?

yep you could do that. i have been told the B25 intake itself is actually bigger, but i havent measured or anything so im not sure if it actually is or not. tbh.. unless you are getting the parts for free just leave the intake alone. Money is better invested in the exhaust which is quite restrictive in b20 form.

The intake is bigger, well it looks bigger side by side.

I'd just leave the motor be for now, and upgrade the suspention, tyres, ect.

and if you don't drive it every day, remove the AC + Sound Deadning.

any hits or tips on making my 320i motor a better performer with bolt on or tune up mods?

Try a set of Wayney's extractor manifolds, adds a bit of power and torque I believe, plus smartens up the engine bay. Paves the way for later mods as well as it frees up the biggest restriction in the overall system.

Try a set of Wayney's extractor manifolds, adds a bit of power and torque I believe, plus smartens up the engine bay. Paves the way for later mods as well as it frees up the biggest restriction in the overall system.

I'm interested/looking for some extractors- do you have more details on these? Cheers

I'm interested/looking for some extractors- do you have more details on these? Cheers

Wayney is a member on here, there are a few reviews and feedback on his extractors in a number of threads if you search for them, often he will list them in the For Sale section, or just send him a PM (username wayney).

the 325i manifold and tb will work.. you will have to adapt a few things but it can be done, and headers always good... but imo its not worth doing that to a b20.. just get a b25 and then do it.

^ what needs to be modified or otherwise to make it work? I was under the impression it was all bolt on.

The headers make a noticeable difference but for you i reckon, that given they are about $495 & a motor about the same, you'd be better working towards an engine swap.

Gonna make a hell of lot more difference than the headers on their own.particularly since you have a manual :D

not sure if the ports in the head line up. they may or may not need grinding to match... you just have to adapt vacuum lines and stuff... fairly easy. and then you need the 325 elbow and make it fit on a 320 afm... or get a 325 afm and remove the electrics out and fit in your 320 electrics... havent tried that one so not 100% sure if it will work.

not sure if the ports in the head line up. they may or may not need grinding to match... you just have to adapt vacuum lines and stuff... fairly easy. and then you need the 325 elbow and make it fit on a 320 afm... or get a 325 afm and remove the electrics out and fit in your 320 electrics... havent tried that one so not 100% sure if it will work.

you can pick up a used b25 very cheap. shouldnt be hard to fit, you only need motor and ecu afaik.

then i would say a set of extractors, and some sort of chip will have you smiling.

320 and 325 afms are the same size. the throttle bodies are different sized, so you'd need a 325i elbow.