Sign in to follow this  
Deano

Trade me fees

It's a pity that ebay doesn't have a more user friendly interface...otherwise i would use that more often OR a NZ specific area on the Australian ebay site.

Now that would bring some competition to Trade me!!

It's a pity that ebay doesn't have a more user friendly interface...otherwise i would use that more often OR a NZ specific area on the Australian ebay site.

Now that would bring some competition to Trade me!!

That would be choice. Only. We have a different currency so it would get messy.

Would like to see a NZ Ebay though.

Its a business not a charity, They are allowed to make a profit.

I dunno mate, I'm in business and there's a difference between a business and a rip off merchant, those rise in fees for flatmates/rental properties/real estate are over the hill and I can't see it's justification. TM Must turnover atleast 200million per year from fees and advertising. I can't see their overheads being massive with their premises and 150 or so staff & bandwidth. There has to be a good reason as to why they don't publically announce their turnover P/A.

5 Years ago TM was brilliant. You could pickup a cheap car, like really cheap, now the REAL bargains have gone and I can only imagine (other than more people using it) that the prices of the auction fees & success fees have created a huge limitation to people that can't afford to list their cars on TradeMe. I'm sure it used to be like $9 to list your car on there. I think it's been turned into an institution say like Telescum which is far more focused on turning a profit as a pose to creating great customer service & a great product even though at that level they can still do both (turn a profit & provide a good product & service)

The Aussies need hardcore competition & yesterday. Lets hope Sella can come to the party, it does look promising, smaller growth rate ofcourse but then again, TradeMe started in the game in NZ when there was little or no competition.

Clinton's 2 cents

Edited by Clinton

If we could get enough people to get a thing together and contact ebay and ask them to make a NZ site, i would say there is a good chance theyd consider it or even action it. Ebay is sooooo huge they can probably afford a few million to invest in NZ to try cut the barrier down. they also have the means to do advertising on telly etc.

The other awesome thing that ebay brings to the table that both trademe and Sella doesnt/cant is the world wide aspect. I can sell stuff here, and, if i want to, i can make it available to be shipped world wide, and it will come up on all the various Ebays around the world. especially usefull for us here in NZ where we can get lower prices on a lot of stuff and, even factoring in shipping, is still competitive. For example, a good condition e30 tech2 wheel for 60euro a few weeks ago ex-UK. thatd be less than $200NZ taking into account shipping/customs etc.. good luck finding one of those here for that price

The joys of a monopoly firm. No one likes them but for the people with invested interest, its the polar opposite.

Trademe has most certainly become ridiculously over priced but honestly, I can't see any alternative even coming close at this stage.

Sella does not come across as an organization who have the vision and funding to take on trademe. They still have a long way to go and the website lacks the polish to truly compete.

E-bay will never work in NZ in my opinion. Mr. Sam Morgan has set the bar so bloody high when it comes to ruthless usability that Auntie Jane and Uncle Bob would rather scrape their eyes out with a butter knife than jump on something as hideous as e-bay. The truly sad thing is that e-bay can't do sh*t about it either even if they wanted to as they have an INTERNATIONAL user base.. they would cop enough flack changing the "Buy Now" button from orange to green let alone re-working the entire structure!

Now... if e-bay were to say invest in a particular sella... we may have something on our hands :P

Egay have already had a go at NZ but it didn't work.

Posted Image

Egay have already had a go at NZ but it didn't work.

Posted Image

Yeh!? when was this.. pre or post trademe?

Edited by crazyarab

I bought something off sella, the seller never contacted me, not even to give out their contact info/bank number. I was pissed because I couldn't find that particular item anywhere else. Sella didnt have a help service. Its very blazze'

best thing about trade me is though, Is I put up my old lawnmower that I got when flatting... sold it within an hour.. just because so many people are on the site...

Probably sold it too cheap also.. ahh well..

Guest Ari Gold

When you buy a company for three quarters of a billion dollars, you need to make your money back. Fairfax are currently hemorrhaging money, so it's hardly surprising they're passing on their costs to trademe sellers.

$700 million was 17 times their earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, either someone didn't do their sums, or they simply didn't think anyone would notice.