Sign in to follow this  
Simon 328M

Jatco trans top up

I had to replace my trans fluid radiator and therefore lost a couple of liters of fluid volume and cant seem to find any google hits that help me figure out how to top it up. Would be nice not to have to drop sump etc but there aint any bungs up the side from what i can see.

Thanks

Nope no dip stick.

They are aparantly filled with "lifetime fluid" hence the no fill point or dipstick which is stooopid because what happens if you develop a leak etc so it looks like my only option is to drop the sump and do as the write up says. Anyone else done this ?

Cheers

The filler tube is built into the trans pan under the car. It has to be filled from under the car with the engine running. Long life oil is not lifetime, we recommend changing it at 100K. Some of the trans's take full Synthetic LL some take full Synthetic G3. There should be a sticker on the pan indicating which fluid to use.

The filler tube is built into the trans pan under the car. It has to be filled from under the car with the engine running. Long life oil is not lifetime, we recommend changing it at 100K. Some of the trans's take full Synthetic LL some take full Synthetic G3. There should be a sticker on the pan indicating which fluid to use.

Glenn, do any of the Jatcos in the E36 Jap imports take Dexron III? When I had my trans serviced a few months ago, the garage filled it with Dexron III. They are unlikely to have got it wrong but thought I'd ask the question. Cheers.

Edited by master garion

Dextron III is equivelent to G3 but not synthetic ... we only use full synthetic though and I suggest you do too

Edited by *Glenn*

just out of curiousity.. if the car takes dextron 3 can you fill it up with full syntethic without a full flush? some forums said you can go dextron -> full syntethic but not full synthetic -> dextron

just out of curiousity.. if the car takes dextron 3 can you fill it up with full syntethic without a full flush? some forums said you can go dextron -> full syntethic but not full synthetic -> dextron

E30's and other older BMW's used dextron III (black label) going to G3 is upgrading the oil type quality. All vehicles with green labels must use full synthetic oil as I said before. Either long life or G3 full synthetic. Going to the better grade of oil is an upgrade...you wouldn't go backwards though. I wouldn't be using Dextron III in a E36 Jatco or any other BMW to be honest. Even doing a trans service on a early BMW I would still use the full synthetic oils.

Edited by *Glenn*

Cheers glenn, i finally found an image on a german website indicating which bung was the fill as the only others were gmc units, so will top it up tonight

Seriously now, both the fill and the drain bung is on the BOTTOM of the sump Am i missing something or is gravity not just going to take over?

There is a oil filler tool that pushes the oil in or i have seen a big syringe thing used on other similar issues...don't know exactly but i would assume that's how it is filled ^_^:lol:

Seriously now, both the fill and the drain bung is on the BOTTOM of the sump Am i missing something or is gravity not just going to take over?

Yes it is, its a barstard of a job. The recessed thingmebob that you need to remove to get a tube thingy up there fills it till the fluid spills over. Yes, that is the correct level, when it spills over you, your tools and your driveway. Brilliant design aye!

If I was to do it again (done it twice, once to try and reduce the jerk and secondly when I rebuilt it) and all I was doing was replacing the fluid I would pay someone.

Unless of course you have the time, a hoist, a proper oil filler whatsit and so forth. I had rain, two jacks, a cold hard concrete driveway, a few concrete blocks and dogged determination.

You also need someone to help you (you should anyway) put the car through the gears when you are filling it, yeah its not the easiest job, its easily the crappiest auto fill job I have ever done on any car I have ever owned.

So did it make any difference to your jatco jerk?

What's a transmission service cost anyways? (bmw/other)

Edited by pando

If there was difference it was purely psychological. It seemed like there may have been a small neglible difference, but nah, it got worse over the next few months and then I decided to pull it apart of which I have put down the details on the official jatco thread. The best ways for me would be in this order

1, do a manual conversion

2, sell the car

3, live with it

4, rebuild the trans in the knowledge it will probably not be your first

I did 4...time well tell.

I hate to know what a service cost on these, but I would still pay it if I had to do mine again, esp over winter, its a crap job if you dont have shelter in this weather.

I had the fluid and filter replaced on mine and it was around the $250-$300 mark. Hasn't helped the jerk at all, as far as I can tell.