Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

What the hell is this noise

It's quite normal to get a noisey one after assembling and running for the first time. Just let it cool down and readjust your clearances again. This must always be done after running a rebuilt engine for the first time. You might have a couple too tight or a couple too loose. Reset them and run it again. Make sure you do the adjustment with the rocker on the back of the cam and make sure you have the accentrics around the right way, otherwise they dont sit over the valve stem correctly and cause the rocker to try and push the valve stem sideways which results in breaking rocker arms. The feeler guage must fit between the accentric & the valve stem.... not at the camshaft end.

It's quite normal to get a noisey one after assembling and running for the first time. Just let it cool down and readjust your clearances again. This must always be done after running a rebuilt engine for the first time. You might have a couple too tight or a couple too loose. Reset them and run it again. Make sure you do the adjustment with the rocker on the back of the cam and make sure you have the accentrics around the right way, otherwise they dont sit over the valve stem correctly and cause the rocker to try and push the valve stem sideways which results in breaking rocker arms. The feeler guage must fit between the accentric & the valve stem.... not at the camshaft end.

That is comforting to know, my brother did alot of the work swapping over rocker arms etc, and taking accentric out as he was afraid of breaking them. And i warned him to wait till i got back.

What is a good way to check those eccentrics are the correct way round ? i suspect a few may be the wrong way round if possible.

Did you hear the recent video ?

Thank you again for your advice, it doesn't go un noticed

Ok well, after taking some of the eccentrics out, it would appear some are flipped 180 degrees, / inverted, giving the connection between eccentric and valve a very angled one.

Could this cause this sort of catastrophic noise ? e.g. hitting the valve hat on the way down or some thing ?

Glenn you have been very very helpful, if this resolves the matter i owe you some beers on my next trip up to auckland

I would be worried that a piston may have hit the valves, like what Glen said because of the timming going out some how... the lack of compression in two cylinders seems to say something has gone wrong. Damaged valves.. not sealing properly?

Hard to say with out seeing it up close though.

If it ends up being a costly repair.. Perhaps time for a M50B25 or M52B28 conversion instead? ^_^

I would be worried that a piston may have hit the valves, like what Glen said because of the timming going out some how... the lack of compression in two cylinders seems to say something has gone wrong. Damaged valves.. not sealing properly?

Hard to say with out seeing it up close though.

If it ends up being a costly repair.. Perhaps time for a M50B25 or M52B28 conversion instead? ^_^

You know, after fn round today, doing clearances, again and again, and again, and again, still it tabs like some thing horrible. So i was beginning to side towards what you are talking about there. Timing was out when this started happening (only at the dizzy, i doubt that the cam belt slipped during his driving), and maybe he was giving it death some point, and some pistons hit the top. I am going to assume that, get another engine, and investigate later, when im not feeling like driving this piece of sh*t off a cliff.

Because as far as i can tell, ive heard bad clearances before in a earlier project, and with out being there in person you under estimate how loud this noise is. I put some thing like a stethoscope up to the cover, and cylinder 1, 2, 4 is letting off a hell of a noise, so i find it strange that all of this could have happened at once.

But if i do take this silly engine out again, i really really hope, that its some thing huge, to justify taking it out (3rd time in a week) and wacking another one in !

too lazy to read all your thread properly but that sounds EXACTLY like my old motor right before it threw a rod.

too lazy to read all your thread properly but that sounds EXACTLY like my old motor right before it threw a rod.

yes, that is comforting to know, we have done every ting in the top end, 2ice !, and chances are, if all of that has been done, and this noise remains, and its hideous, maybe its a SHOT big end, i mean SHOT not worn, ive usually heard a slight knock, but this is HURRENDOUS ! This whole process has been interesting,

Hmmmm

Interesting, interesting.

Oh well, I guess a 24V motor conversion will be on the cards then?

A fairly worth while upgrade IMO... but is the rest of the car in good condition? IE, would it be worth spending the few grand upgrading the engine in your E30?

Hmmmm

Interesting, interesting.

Oh well, I guess a 24V motor conversion will be on the cards then?

A fairly worth while upgrade IMO... but is the rest of the car in good condition? IE, would it be worth spending the few grand upgrading the engine in your E30?

Tempted, its a manual 2 door e30, exterior is looking nice, interior has seen better days, well just the front seats. Might just do another nice 323 swap into it, and budget for a 24v turbo build