Sign in to follow this  
waxer

E30 325i long range fuel tank

I have just bought a 1989 325i which apparently has a long range tank or extended reservoir (costs over $90 to fill!!) This was filled at the weekend but now the fuel light is coming on even though the needle is showing full (or nearly full). Anyone had this before or is it a electrical connection fault?

Cheers

South African long range tanks for E30's are quite useful for people with thirsty engines, ie, 2.7's or Twin Turbo's, as it allows them to drive from Wellington to Auckland without the need to refill somewhere along the way :lol:

As for the light coming on, if it bugs you you could simply disconnect it or remove the led, fuel lights are lying little suckers anyway. Carry some fuel in a bottle and simply drive the car till it runs out of gas, that way you can work out how many k's you can drive from the point the needle hits the rock bottom till it actually runs dry <_<

Guest Spargo

Actually runing out of fuel doesn't do very good thigns for your car. All the crap on the bottom of the tank gets sucked up, and will block fuel lines and filters.

Cheers,

funnily enough the tank was already on the car (Bombers to London!!!??!?!? you been following me??)

ill just keep my eye on it, how accurate are those "range" guides on the computer??

Actually runing out of fuel doesn't do very good thigns for your car. All the crap on the bottom of the tank gets sucked up, and will block fuel lines and filters.

the bigger problem is bleeding all the air out of the system more than "sucking up" all the crap, after all, the supply tube is right at the bottom of the tank, what difference does it make..... I'm notorious for running my tank as low as possible to see how far i can go, never had any problems

Have one in the M3 - l.r. tank that is. Makes for good long distance, no stop, in a hurry driving. Cuts out a bit of boot space though. Moreso with the 2x10" subs as well plus the two amps. I think I can get a spare g-string in the boot for the missus when we go away - god I love three day weekends!

Have one in the M3 - l.r. tank that is. Makes for good long distance, no stop, in a hurry driving. Cuts out a bit of boot space though. Moreso with the 2x10" subs as well plus the two amps. I think I can get a spare g-string in the boot for the missus when we go away - god I love three day weekends!

TMI :lol:

As for the running out of gas, CaM is right, maybe in the old days you'd get sh*t at the bottom of the tank, but that's why we have fuel filters, the sh*t gets filtered out all the time. JD (intermarue) run his car dry to see how much distance it can do, poured in his reserve and away it went :)

the bigger problem is bleeding all the air out of the system

how hard is this to actually do? Edited by bimmer boy

long range tank for the SA models during the south african fuel shortages, where you couldnt buy petrol on the weekends, so had to do long ass trips filling up on friday. had one on old car....is kinda handy but doesnt make a huge difference, theres no real shortage of petrol stations in NZ...and takes up boot space and adds weight...but kinda cool

All the crap on the bottom of the tank gets sucked up, and will block fuel lines and filters.

where do you think the inlet for the pick up is?

it's for sure not at the top of the tank nor does it float. so it must be at the bottom.

funny that

also as car's have an electic fuel pump, air blocks are very rare

Edited by bumpstop325

costs over $90 to fill!!

Welcome to my world :(

My 750iL had the long range tank, 105 litres, now that was some serious money to fill !

Edited by martyyn

sheesh 80 litres is bad enough......i think i cracked 80 bucks a coupla times when petrolwas up at 1 20 something and most fuel pick ups are not right at the bottom of the tank,even when you run dry there will be a coupla litres sitting ina little hollow below the pick up,and you do get sh*t,and water sitting in that little well,It is good practice to keep the tank full ish you will less condesnsaton and therefore less rustI regularly go from full to light on fill light on etc etc

Edited by kiwi535

You could remove the tank - but I would suggest that would devalue the car. I have found that my fuel gauge reads purely off of the main tank and not the secondary. But I usually refuel on 1/4 so as to not get any sh1t in the engine (whether wives tale or not). Still takes c.$45 to fill.

And remember, you are going to have to fill your tank at sometime, so it doesn't really matter what lower level you set it. Petrol won't create itself.

Damn martyn .... dad's 745i is only 88Litres ... and that already is around $100 ...

Damn martyn .... dad's 745i is only 88Litres ... and that already is around $100 ...

Yep filled up both the 740 and the Subaru gt-b wagon the other day, was 161 dollars for the two of them :drugs: