Sign in to follow this  
danutt

e30 misfire still not running smooth

have checked spark to all cylinders, fuel pump and rail is getting fuel airflow meter is good

there was no power getting to the sixth cylinders injector so fixed that and no joy

replaced 6 cylinders injector and no joy

its a 320i and wont idle, if you release the pedal it just dies

suggestions please

Edited by danutt

car runs without the o2 sensor connected??faulty or broken o2 sensor?

checking for leaks now and no reading from tps and car runs without that connected 2

also no change in missing idle when you remove 6th plug lead??

bad lead?

after wiggling a few grounds near the battery the idle changes when you pull off 6th plug lead? and after putting it back on if u remove the 5th plug lead it just dies?

shouldnt it die if you remove the 6th then aswell? faulty lead? bad earth somewhere?

oh and no air leaks no vacuum leaks all fine changed tps to one that had a reading on it

where the gurus at?haha

Edited by danutt

can you post up a vid of it? does the idle fluctuate or hunt? how does it sound when its running? is there an intermitent miss or a constant miss? double check good spark to all cylinders, also remove leads like you did before to check that its only the 6th cylinder at fault.

can you post up a vid of it? does the idle fluctuate or hunt? how does it sound when its running? is there an intermitent miss or a constant miss? double check good spark to all cylinders, also remove leads like you did before to check that its only the 6th cylinder at fault.

would be a bit hard to post a vid but i can answer some of those questions

its a constant miss

wont idle unless idle screw is set higher or you keep your foot on the gas

spark is good to all cylinders , have checked coil 2

and when i remove the 6th plug lead there is a change in idle for the worse and removing the 5th or any other leads the engine then dies so leads me to believe there is spark and fuel in all cylinders but 6th cylinder isnt causing it to die

yea dont know what else it could be...ecu?

there is a timing clip on the 6th cylinder plug lead could this be faulty ?

do a compression test on #6, also inspect the spark plug and compare it to the others and tell us what you find... check your idle control valve.(fl or pfl?) check and recheck for any manifold vacuum leaks. recheck the injector you fitted. recheck for any blocks in the fuel rail or anything. check tappet clearances, try swapping #6 lead and plug with another and see if that makes any difference

injector is sweet, icv is buggered but runs without it connected, used to run smoothly without it connected

found a leak today at the icv and fixed it and the car idled smooth even after a few revs with out the icv connected

went for a drive and the missfire was back after 5mins

have tried other plug leads etc

hard to imagine what could block the fuel rail?

this missfire is only at idle, when you plant it it goes like it should but if you drive at low rpms or from pull away it will often jerk

cheers

Try another distributor cap & rotor..... and no I'm not being silly. If you have spark on 5 cylinders & not No6 it either has to be a lead or spark distribution

checked all the leads and dizzy definitly got spark at all the plugs but and its a bit tricky...

there is a timing sensor?attached to the 6th plug lead and sends the pulses to the cpu for timing

disonnected the 6th plug completely and ran a different plug with no timing sensor and it ran exactly the same with the missfire

this leads me to believe the timing sensor is buggered because when you disonnect the timing sensor from the DME? the car dies so if the timing sensor thingy is bust that could have been the problem from the beginning?

checked all the leads and dizzy definitly got spark at all the plugs but and its a bit tricky...

there is a timing sensor?attached to the 6th plug lead and sends the pulses to the cpu for timing

disonnected the 6th plug completely and ran a different plug with no timing sensor and it ran exactly the same with the missfire

this leads me to believe the timing sensor is buggered because when you disonnect the timing sensor from the DME? the car dies so if the timing sensor thingy is bust that could have been the problem from the beginning?

Which timing sensor?

The #6 inductive pickup sensor is for the injector firing order. If unplugged they will fire sequentially all at the same time. If plugged in, it uses the #6 spark as a reference to fire injectors alternatively 1,3,5 and 2,4,6 in alternative strokes.

yip that must be the problem then??

changed dizzy cap and the idle is worse so maybe both are the culprit?

cheers

replaced dizzy cap and still ther maybe worse haha

any other ideas of what i could check?

get a new condenser :D have had mystery issues like this before, been a condenser a couple of times. Also they're like $14 so what have you got to lose? bar your $14 lol

Condenser - WTF?? :rolleyes: It aint a dinosaur!

replaced dizzy cap and still ther maybe worse haha

any other ideas of what i could check?

Seriously, & no disrespect - think it's time you took it to a pro to diagnose. You seem to be chasing your tail here:-

Seriously, & no disrespect - think it's time you took it to a pro to diagnose. You seem to be chasing your tail here:-

yes I agree with hotwire, also people guessing / advising to replace random parts you may not require $$$$$

Check the resistances on the leads.

Don't ask me what they should be though.

Alternatively a pro will do it for cash moneys.

Condenser - WTF?? :rolleyes: It aint a dinosaur!

haha my bad. I was a little unsure if the e30s ran them, but thought id throw that up anyway :D

its all good now after fixing a few heat exposed wires she runs mint cheers