Sign in to follow this  
mark247

Quickest way to Wellington from Hamilton?

I drive to Wellington quite often to see family and it seems each time I go I end up taking a different route hoping it will be quicker. Does anyone know the quickest way? Google maps says through W(h)anganui which I dont believe.. due to the roads being so windy.

What do you guys reckon is the quickest way?

I'm thinking of driving down again tomorrow and dont want to be flipping a coin again deciding what way to go!

Silly question yes, but opinions would help.

due to the roads being so windy.

you have an e30 -I dont see a problem with this?

Google maps is normally pretty reliable though so its probably right

you have an e30 -I dont see a problem with this?

Google maps is normally pretty reliable though so its probably right

Yea but after 5 hours of driving all I want to do is cruise. Does anyone know if the Parapara's just out of Wanganui are still full of roadworks? I suppose if they are finished then google maps may be correct

go to wises.co.nz .. go to directions and click quickest or shortest route option.

go to wises.co.nz .. go to directions and click quickest or shortest route option.

Where do you click to choose the quickest or shortest route? I cant see it =/

From Te Awamutu, I reacon the best route is via Mangakino/Whakamaru onto Western Bypass onto SH1 at Turangi

Does anyone know the quickest way? Google maps says through W(h)anganui which I dont believe.. due to the roads being so windy.

yea it's probably not the fastest, but it's great fun that road :)

mum used to live in Raetihi, so I got to go over the Para Para's a few times

they are straightening it out though, so one day it might be the quickest route

Went through Tokoroa, down the west side of Taupo then just down down from there. Seemed to take the same time as going through Te Kuiti and Tuamarunui. I guess I'll try the Parapara's next time.

Got this pic on the way through at 7:30 this morning.

Posted Image

Edited by mark247

nice

Saying Hamilton is interesting, I would say it kind of depends on where in the tron you are, if on southern/eastern side i'd go SH1 (which was what I did when living there whilst at uni) but from the west side i'd say go SH4.

The last few times i've gone north from Welly i've gone SH4, although that was to Auckland and I bypassed Hamilton going through Ngaruwahia which turned out to be consdierably better than SH1, made it easily from Petone to that BP after the Bombay's on one 65L tank.

I like the windy bits after W(h)anganui too, one run in my car with Tim in his pseudo 335 saw me behind him as he went hilariously sideways into a roadworks section after (i think he panicked) he saw a cop coming the other way after a blind corner...good times, i'm sure the cop waved.

When I think about it it also depends on your company, if none go SH4, if with people who don't like bends then SH1 - that and if you're car is unreliable stick to where there's good mobile coverage. West side of lake taupo isn't too good iirc.

Edited by pando