Sign in to follow this  
aliluya

BMW manufacturer warranty and ACS parts...

Here is an interesting fact ... I went and spoke to BMW yesterday about some modification parts, and it turns out that ACS original parts is the only company that leave BMW manufacturers warranty intact ....

As in ... i can install a whole lotta ACS parts on my car and i'd still have my three year manufacturers warranty ... :thumb:

I'd probably by out hunting for ACS parts later ... heheh ..

As in ... i can install a whole lotta ACS parts on my car and i'd still have my three year manufacturers warranty ... thumb.gif

More likely you could get them installed without voiding the waranty, but unless you are a BMW approved mechanic or body shop etc, you prob can't install them yourself.

But even if you get other non-ACS parts installed, before they could void your waranty, they would have to prove that the parts you installed caused the problem you are claiming for. I.e. if you put in an K&N CAI, and then the left rear wheel falls off, they can't say they won't fix it under waranty because you voided your waranty by installing a non-approved air intake.

Consumer Guarantees Act still applies.

Guest Spargo

Go install the Acs S/c and see if they honour the warranty :lol:

AC Parts don't void the warranty b/c they are installed by BMW trained techies.

Yes the ACS parts have to be installed by BMW ... And if ACS offered a super charger kit, then the warranty would still be honoured by BMW ...

But i asked if i got a remus exhaust and got BMW to install it would i still have my warranty .. they said no .. because it's not ACS parts ...

regarding Bravo's comment ... in the booklet that comes with the car it stated clearly that by installing non-approved parts etc. it would void the warranty on the whole ... and the other thing that would void the warranty is when the car is in racing conditions ....

Guest Spargo

And if ACS offered a super charger kit, then the warranty would still be honoured by BMW ...

1. Acs do offer a supercharger.

2. Its not warrantied by BMW.

Can't see the point in waiting with the warranty thin after a fair amount of mileage.... teething problems are the only thing that's MEANT to go wrong with the car under warranty - trim rattles etc..... anything else is going to happen at a progressive rate- f**ked engine etc, unless of course a cambelt or something snaps or something along those lines.

If it were me I'd hit a new exhaust, something like that, if you don't make it too hard to chage back, and keep it factory wouldn't hurt too much... but yuh

Doesn't matter what the booklet says, they can't remove any rights given by the consumer guarantees act. Its like computer manufacturers who say you void the waranty if you open the back - its BS, as long as you can prove that you in no way contributed to the fault, then they still have to honour the waranty.

BMW's will be the same - racing conditions is an exception though, as that is not the purpose for which the car is sold, and they cannot guarantee the cars fitness for this purpose, and the added wear and tear affects the whole car, not just a small component.

But simply adding aftermarket parts legally can't void the entire waranty, only parts affected directly or indirectly by the parts you installed.

Doesn't matter what the booklet says, they can't remove any rights given by the consumer guarantees act. Its like computer manufacturers who say you void the waranty if you open the back - its BS, as long as you can prove that you in no way contributed to the fault, then they still have to honour the waranty.

BMW's will be the same - racing conditions is an exception though, as that is not the purpose for which the car is sold, and they cannot guarantee the cars fitness for this purpose, and the added wear and tear affects the whole car, not just a small component.

But simply adding aftermarket parts legally can't void the entire waranty, only parts affected directly or indirectly by the parts you installed.

Contractual law may override this though, I mean, if you sign up to a warranty which specifically states that any modifcation outside allowable whatevers then the warranty provider can void it. Insurance companies are similar, if you modify a car in any way that is stipulated in the agreement (without telling them) they won't payout even ifit didn't contribute towards the cause. Obviously you know full well then that you're voiding the contract by altering the car.

Yeah, it's a grey area in that they have to guarantee the car whether it's a written waranty or not for anything that breaks that is considered a fault with the car when it is pretty new, otherwise you could have car makers making sh*t cars that only last a week and telling you to go f yourself when it breaks.

Extended waranties, or waranties that go outside of the basic guarantees prescribed by law are something quite different, and so can be voided as you say. So it depends what breaks, when and why.

It is of course, just safer not to try and test the rules, but they can't just tell you to piss of because you changed your muffler.

Insurance companies are different as they are not guaranteeing a product they made, but insuring you against risk. Therefore they can stipulate the terms of that insurance.

True - I wonder then what happens when I use the car for intermarque :lol:

Shhh, don't tell my insurance company, my premium's $500 as it is <_<

as long as you don't have any mods done to the car that you'll be using on the road then nothing can happen..... as long as you don't try and mac a clam outta them if you stack it on the track..... basically you're not insured whilst on the track, driving to and from it you are, so long as you're road legal

And if ACS offered a super charger kit, then the warranty would still be honoured by BMW ...

1. Acs do offer a supercharger.

2. Its not warrantied by BMW.

Can you supply more information on the ACS super charger unit please .. on monday i'll pay them a visit and see whether it is warrantable ... but from the conversation i had with them yesterday, anything from ACS installed by BMW doesn't void it ...

I know with what you two are arguing about with contractual and consumer ... but like some one said .. it's not something that i'd want to test out by installing .. say a Remus exhaust and find out from bmw that it's not ...

Ali, are you going to the Dunedin street race?

I'm gonna pm u to sort thing out.

Anyway, what about ///M parts?

Or is that actually a BMW company?

i know for sure that cosmetic M parts (bodykits etc) are perfectly fine .. whether they would offer an engine transplant is another story .. ha ... probably be HELL expensive if they ever did anywa y..