Sign in to follow this  
OP6

Noisy lifter on startup

E36 !993, 325i

My car on startup first thing in the morning makes horrible rattle for 1 or 2 seconds and then quietens down to almost normal. If you turn it off immediately and then start it again there is no noise.

I'm guessing it is a hydraulic valve lifter

The question is is there anything that I can use, (additive) or do ( oil and filter change done 3000kms ago,) to reduce this ungodly noise?

Its starting to get embarrassing!

It's perfectly normal. All 3 M50's I've owned have done it if the car has been left outside overnight. I think it even mentions it in the cars user manual.

I think it even mentions it in the cars user manual.

Must check that, this one has been getting worse over the last year or so, but now it is scary!

Could be hydraulic lifters or chain tensioner- both require oil pressure not present in head after engine has been left overnight.... chain will make a serious 'clatter' like it is lashing about, lifters a more defined sharp hammer sound(loud tick)

Could be hydraulic lifters or chain tensioner- both require oil pressure not present in head after engine has been left overnight.... chain will make a serious 'clatter' like it is lashing about, lifters a more defined sharp hammer sound(loud tick)

Jeez hadn't thought of the chain tensioner. I shall be trying some Wynns engine flush, fresh Magnatec and oil filter, and perhaps an additive.

Cheers for that.

Anyone else with ideas, solutions etc?

Jeez hadn't thought of the chain tensioner. I shall be trying some Wynns engine flush, fresh Magnatec and oil filter, and perhaps an additive.

Cheers for that.

Anyone else with ideas, solutions etc?

When I got an engine from a wreckers one time I installed it and when I first started it it had the lifter tick for over 40 minutes of driving, just because the lifters had been sitting with no oil in them at the wreckers for so long. I threw some of that Wynns lifter free stuff in and soon after that it freed and the engine was quiet. I'm not sure if it was just coincidence though. Anyway, even after the lifter had freed I kept the Wynn's stuff in until next oil change. Even with that solution in for 5000km it didn't stop it from ticking in the morning after sitting outside all night. Longer than your 1 or 2 seconds though, maybe 4..

In all honesty you are probably wasting $17 on that Wynn's stuff.

Edited by mark247

does it still tick mark? your engine is a minta

does it still tick mark? your engine is a minta

That was the engine i put in the e36.

Yea my engine now ticks for 2 seconds on start up in the morning, but only if I have left it outside over night in the cold. This engines a minter though.

Edited by mark247