Sign in to follow this  
E30_318i

E32 750iL road test, 1988

Found thiis US test on the net, form C&D magazine.

I might be interested in buying one, depending on whether I get an after school job or not (to pay for all the expensive sh*t that appears to go wrong in them, unlike the E34), so naturally, I've been doing some reading.

:mosh:

post-2-1109491324.jpg

a friend of mine had one of these for a while and it was blue but it was a 735i i think damn that was cool

you should get one :D

Edited by bimmer boy

Not complaints with 100kmh coming up in under 7 seconds, or the 1/4 mile in under 15 :bowdown:

Sleeper :mosh:

post-2-1109491942.jpg

my old man had one of those ...

black 750iL sacked out, 18''BBS RC, removed cat's, mirrored tints ...

my brother did all the mods to it .. haha .. and my old wasn't too happy about it ... hahahha .... i should try and hunt down some pictures of it .... i have no idea where they are at the moment ...

i should try and hunt down some pictures of it

yes, please do

yes, please do
Yeah. They look awesome in black too.

a friend of mine had one of these for a while and it was blue but it was a 735i i think damn that was cool

you should get one 

Yeah 735i seem reasonable as far as performance go, but they just aren't the same as an 8... or 12.

Only thing thats putting me off them is reading US boards where owners are warning future buyers of spending half the purchase cost in repairs within the first year. Scary. Gunna go job hunting this coming week anyway.

Other cheaper option would be an 86-91 560 SEL Benz, torque monster :mosh: :ph34r:

Edited by E30_318i

yes, please do
Here .. dad's iL

We didn't have anything go wrong within the first year .. dad just wanted to change cars after my bro had a good go with it .. hah ... there was two permanent burnout lines outside our old house, until road digger dug it up for upgrades ... gutted ..

The 540i he had afterwards was also awesome ... until .................... :thumbsdown:

yes, please do
Yeah. They look awesome in black too.

you should get one 

Yeah 735i seem reasonable as far as performance go, but they just aren't the same as an 8... or 12.

Only thing thats putting me off them is reading US boards where owners are warning future buyers of spending half the purchase cost in repairs within the first year. Scary. Gunna go job hunting this coming week anyway.

Other cheaper option would be an 86-91 560 SEL Benz, torque monster :mosh: :ph34r:

yes im job hunting at the moment!

might go get one at repco in new lynn... one of the workers there is a bimmersport member wif a silver e36.. well it has bimmersport stickers on it so if u are around hook me up !!

yea i had a 86 merc 420SE over new years for a week or so damn they quite fast nothing like a giant tank :D

AHHHH! the wok style mags are back ! .... BMWclub meet all ova again lol.

you know you love it

at least they would be easy to clean :huh:

but thing is you barely see 750iL's round much let alone ones for sale

and if they were for sale i bet it would be like $20,000 +

Edited by bimmer boy

i had a 88 750il . NEAT car . real quick ,donig 160kmh then just put the foot down and your doing 220kmh. handled pretty well for such a big car . only used about 100litres of fuel to do 500-600km ...

post-2-1109540296.jpg

and another pic. 300HP V12 450Nm torque . thats back in 1988 with 5litres . holden just doing 300hp now 2004 with 5.7litre .

self leveling rear suspension . etc etc

post-2-1109540447.jpg

I would have another 750iL without blinking an eye.

For every horror story you read about, there are dozens of people driving them with no problems. They are actually easier to work on than the V8's because they are simply two engines bolted together. Although you do have to take half teh car apart to replace anything as there is not a lot of room under the bonnet !

Ive seen them in NZ go from anything between 10k - 20k. There is no way I would pay 20k for one though.

If they have had the oil changed regularly you can expect at least 400k kms without too many problems.

Something to consider though is the rear LAD. If there is any oil leaking at the rear, just walk away. You can replace the self levelling suspension with standard units, but in the end you pay the same price because you have to take care of all the pipework ferrying the fluid everywhere and it is expensive.

They are sensational cars for not a lot of money. When you think of the options they had and remember they are 15 years old its incredible.

I have pictures of mine somewhere if you want to see them. In fact as Im off work this week I think Ill sort out my cardomain site and stick them on there !

Cheers

Martyn

Nice cars and they go well too. Paul's one was only 2 seconds slower than the 540iS through the Slalom at Taupo 2 years ago. I was amazed at how well the aircraft carrier sized car went.

Super touring cars. I still believe the 5 is the best car for all round capabilities.

Brent is right, Holden and Ford are only catching up 10 years later. My work Falcon is a piece of sh*t. Wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Tha't why I'd like to take it to the drags to see just how slow it is. Feels like 16.5 secs.

I would have another 750iL without blinking an eye.

For every horror story you read about, there are dozens of people driving them with no problems. They are actually easier to work on than the V8's because they are simply two engines bolted together. Although you do have to take half teh car apart to replace anything as there is not a lot of room under the bonnet !

Thats good to know :lol:

Suppose the safest thing would be to take it to a dealer for pre purchase inspection, I would think there would be bugger all people/garages who know these cars. Probably the most advanced in their day.

300HP V12 450Nm torque . thats back in 1988 with 5litres . holden just doing 300hp now 2004 with 5.7litre .

Thats de-tuned to 300hp ;)

Comparing a top of the line BMW to an Aussie bread and butter car is pointless anyway.

Comparing a top of the line BMW to an Aussie bread and butter car is pointless anyway.

dude a 5.7l v8 commodore isn't "aussie bread and butter", they're getting toward top of the line..bred and butter holdens are the executives/acclaims, vectras etc.. a 750iL wasn't "top of te performance" lines as aren't the venerable ss commodore, they're comparable when it comes to performance, if anything biased toward commdore being more "race bred"..... how many 7s do you see on a race track compared to commodores?

No top of the line would be the 400hp one, while the 300hp can be had for about 40 grand in the v8 excutives. f**k, if theres going to be a comparison, at least be fair.

what are they selling for at the moment brent?

depends on condition . there was one at an tender place , reserve was $6.5k .

i paid $9.6K for mine and spent about $900 on some servicing and repairs . sold a little while later for $14K .

have seen a few sell around $10k , did you see that alpina one on trade me . also fire damaged one at turners DVA .

You can't compare Oranges with Apples.. they are two totally different things.

BMW vs Holden just isn't right, no comparison whatsoever.

Holdens are gay. Don't argue just listen.