Sign in to follow this  
MGL

Wacky idle, flat spots and shagged ICV

I brought a 520 e39 recently, m52b20 and tis got a few issues that I need help with.

It came from my partners father, so I got it really cheap but it had developed a few faults.

He had said that a few times recently he had had issues with it stalling out when turning corners, it jsut occured to me last night that this was probably because thats when you throttle off, and it wasnt returning to idle properly (I had an e34 that did that one,ce but it was manual, so wasnt a problem)

I pulled the ICV out, cleaned it out with contact 60- (it was apretty gunked up, I used cotton buds and lots of contact 60, got it nice and clean)

Anyway, when I put it back in the car started fine, when I revved it up a little it stalled out rather than returning to idle. actually seemed worse than before. But then, it wouldnt start at all- and the ICV started hmming rather loudly - is that normal? I hadnt noticed that noise before. I took it out again, and turned the car on with the ICV just wired up, so I could see what it was doing, and it just seemed to hum and vibrate slightly.

Have I jsut compeltely stuffed it with my ghetto clean, or was it pretty much dead anyway? Or, is this normal and I've got another problem somewhere.

Thanks heaps!

It could be many things...we can help you with this..give me a call Ph. 2722546

i would say it is most likely your problem with the icv.. probs worth wile just replacing it.

But would the boogie ICV stop it from starting at all? I had thought that if the motor in the valve had seized up, then the increased current draw would screw with the ECU.

I do intend to replace it now I think- but it'd be comforting to know that its the likely cause of stopping it from starting.

Thanks Glenn, I'll give you a call this afternoon some time. (at work at the moment, interneting is all good, phone calls not so much :))

Cheers

Thanks for your help Glenn, I'll let you all know how I go.

Sounds as thought I've knocked something off while riffing around getting the ICV out.

I'll have a hunt when I get home.

CHeers,

Matt