Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

Umnitza

So I'm looking at getting a few bits and pieces for my car and have been looking on Umnitza's website which can be found here ... www.umnitza.com

What I was wondering was if anyone else on here has delt with them before?

The prices of thier stuff seems really good but kinda thinking Im probably going to raped when it comes to shipping, especially for larger/ heavier item...

So if anyone has any feedback or have delt with them before let me know!

Cheers

I've had umnitza angel eyes before on my e36, great quality wouldn't mind getting more from them in the future

maybe a group buy ??

Umnitza for the win. Lifetime warranty compared to a year for pretty much all others (Angel eyes I'm talking about).

Angel eyes just arived from them yesterday, very quick considering i only ordered them on the 16th and chose the cheapest shipping option (about 18bux).

Cheers fellas, Only Im not after Angel Eyes... after some bumpers insted.

Yeah Josh Im one step ahead mate, I rang for a quote $800 US minumum for air frieght or $600 US for shipping, via, well a ship.

I am aware they are located in the CA area. I have a address in Los Angeles I could get them sent to, then work out something cheaper from there but it would be much better if I dont have to go through with all that hassle.

Perhaps a trip to the dealership is order.

On a side note, does anyone have any experience with aftermarket CELIS lights?

Umnitza for the win. Lifetime warranty compared to a year for pretty much all others (Angel eyes I'm talking about).

Yup i got a pair of these comming >>Clicky<<

Hell $600 - $800 is a hell of a price to pay for a bumper are they chartering a plane and land it in your street.

Sometime's i don't understand how they arrive at their postage costs as some things cost more in postage than the item themselves.

Yes have changed my rear taillights from amber to clear but stayed with Hella mainly because they were the original manufacture for BMW and the quality is good. Need to be careful in what type you get some have ballast's to reduce the voltage so the LED's work correctly. But if your e39 is a later model with a LCM it will need to possibly be reprogrammed to except the new lights. Some of the earlier e39's require addition holes to be drilled to fit the later type lights also, just from my experience.

As for the bumpers have tried many US firms which advertise bumpers but the biggest problem is they either don't go outside the US of A or are to expensive to ship as you have found out. Have you tried E-bay Aus saw one site with a M5 type for around $600 Aus with every thing fogs the works if that is what you are after. Let me know if you have any joy.

Good Hunting Allan

Yup i got a pair of these comming >>Clicky<<

High five!

Yep, Allans dead on the monies.

Did the conversion on my dads '98 540. Standard bulb tails to celis clears. Bottom line is you need ballasts if you're going to LED for the E39. If you don't install ballasts the LEDs will continuously flicker and eventually die out.

If the car has celis lights already then no holes need to be drilled. If the car has celis lights already theres no need for the ballasts. If it doesn't then it needs both.

High five!

Yep, Allans dead on the monies.

Did the conversion on my dads '98 540. Standard bulb tails to celis clears. Bottom line is you need ballasts if you're going to LED for the E39. If you don't install ballasts the LEDs will continuously flicker and eventually die out.

If the car has celis lights already then no holes need to be drilled. If the car has celis lights already theres no need for the ballasts. If it doesn't then it needs both.

I will be converting from standard bulb taillights to CELIS but as far as I am aware the only LED part is the 3 stripes on each tail light correct?

Nick where did you get your Dads ones? or do you at least know where I can get ballasts from. Im probably going to be usuing after market ones. I have been looking at these ones.. Here

And for those actually interested in the actual reason for this thread, I managed to get in contact with a sweet NZ owned shipping place in Carson City, CA. They can ship me my bumpers for $100 US.

Kiwi Shipping?

I used them for my gearbox - excellent to deal with and very cheap

Kiwi Shipping?

I used them for my gearbox - excellent to deal with and very cheap

Yeah Ian I think thats the one, nice and cheap, how long did it take to get it shipped to you? they seem like the better alternative to get things shipped over cos I have noticed wheels and stuff are cheaper in the states also...

One other thing you may not be aware of is the seal required between the light unit and the mounting position. As water from the boot is channeled down over or near to these units. If they leak you get a boot full of water and blown tail lights so be careful with the fitment of your lights and the sealing gaskets. If the e39 is after 09/2000 I believe they were fitted with the Light control modules because of the l.e.d's and other things.

Cheers Allan

The box took about 5 weeks, including customs and getting it from the guys place to the port.

This was the only downside, the time taken to get the goods. Price was very good.

They are owned by Mainfreight I found out

I will be converting from standard bulb taillights to CELIS but as far as I am aware the only LED part is the 3 stripes on each tail light correct?

Nick where did you get your Dads ones? or do you at least know where I can get ballasts from. Im probably going to be usuing after market ones. I have been looking at these ones.. Here

I think you will find Ryan that those are actually backlit by bulbs. They are 'celis style' which doesn't necessarily mean they use LED's. I'd ask Eurolights first.

Yes, the only parts on the tail-lights lit by the LED's are the celis strips which are the park lights.

We bought them off trade me just as the plain two back light units. The seller had misrepresented them and they didn't come with the ballasts. We searched around but couldn't find a supplier of the ballasts. Not even eBay America or Germany had them alone. In the end we went through Hella NZ and he had to buy a brand new set although he did get it at wholesale. We flicked the other pair off to Allan as he already had a facelift and was upgrading from orange celis to clear celis so he didn't need the ballasts.

Hi Nick;

In the end I did need the ballasts as the previous set I had got fried. What happens when things go wrong with these lights .

Their is not much to them really one that I opened up to have a look at.

Please resize your photos to about 800 X 600 and repost thanks

Edited by *Glenn*

I think you will find Ryan that those are actually backlit by bulbs. They are 'celis style' which doesn't necessarily mean they use LED's.

This makes me want to vomit.

Hmm I might have to get OEM parts then or I will have a look at someones aftermarket items in person....

Allan what about the orange headlights ? still got those?

They occasionally come up on Trade me. You just have to keep an eye out. Usually around 200 for a pair (not including ballasts).

The ballasts alone from Hella are $500+

Its not a cheap upgrade Ryan. I'd probably suggest investing in one of these kits if you are serious. These are the complete retrofit kits as sold by Hella. These include everything to install them in an E39.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E39-5-s...9#ht_500wt_1182

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E39-5-s...#ht_1982wt_1199

Edit: I would however check to make sure there are no differences between American spec and Euro spec E39's. Might be two different kits but I would doubt it.

Edited by Nick021

They occasionally come up on Trade me. You just have to keep an eye out. Usually around 200 for a pair (not including ballasts).

The ballasts alone from Hella are $500+

Its not a cheap upgrade Ryan. I'd probably suggest investing in one of these kits if you are serious. These are the complete retrofit kits as sold by Hella. These include everything to install them in an E39.

Its not a cheap upgrade no, but Im also not stupid. I can do my homework I have since found a few decent kits with ballasts etc. Just seeing my options. I mean if the after market ones that were a mere Celis-style looked any good in person then it could be an okay alternative until something else came along. Cheers for the help though man

One other thing you may not be aware of is the seal required between the light unit and the mounting position. As water from the boot is channeled down over or near to these units. If they leak you get a boot full of water and blown tail lights so be careful with the fitment of your lights and the sealing gaskets. If the e39 is after 09/2000 I believe they were fitted with the Light control modules because of the l.e.d's and other things.

Cheers Allan

I will deffinatly look for seals or at least obtain some, nothing worse than water getting in the car.... We'll except for maybe having a dead hooker in the car but thats a different story...

Do you mean the amber tail light? if so sorry sold them some time back. Have all the parts from my old headlights still from when I upgrade them if you are interested, one item is u s though.

Nah I have some rears sorted now, I was just meaning the Orange FL headlights. Thats what Im after...

What happens when things go wrong with led's

post-1581-1277365977.jpg

One taken apart

post-1581-1277366089.jpg

Another thing I remember is what shape is the wiring connector on your present tail light set up?.

The led type lights have a flat six pin where the earlier ones have a rectangular one and adapters are needed, they are not cheep from memory. So you may have to do some re-wiring if you don't wish to buy them the kit I bought contained the following just to give you an idea of what you will need, exclude the drill bit and screw driver.

post-1581-1277366752.jpg

Thank you Glenn for the warning on the photo issue did not realize they were so large