Sign in to follow this  
so54i88

2002 E46 318ti OBC

Hi, does anyone know if there is a way to display OBC information on the dashboard? I played a little with the hidden functions on the dashboard and thought it would be nice to have functions such as average fuel consumption, temperature etc than just to have a clock. Is it possible at all? Or is there a way to add a separate display which taps into the computer?

Does your car not have the OBC slide switch on top of the indicator stalk lever ?

No, it doesn't. :huh: Does this mean that I can't get the functions?

Yes...you could try the dealers for a retro fit...I'm not sure if it would be available...is yours an import basic model ?

Yes Glenn, it's a Jap import and i think it's pretty basic. It doesn't have a MF steering wheel, just a basic car which I really like. I did a bit of research and it seems like if I get a indicator stalk with a BC button, and get the dealer (or whoever has the gear) to reset a function in the car's computer I will be able to enable the OBC. This doesn't sound that complicated. I might give it a go but I wouldn't even dare to ask how much it cost from the dealer. Does anyone know how much roughly a 2nd hand stalk cost?

Thought I'd update this. I found a used stalk with BC button on ebay. Hopefully it will arrive in the next few days. At the meantime I've been doing some research on the retrofit, it seems doable. A lot of US guys have done this but ECU needs to be enabled for this to work. I'm going to install this and wonder if there is anything I need to be aware of when removing the steering wheel/airbag. Also does anyone know if the dealer (or anyone else) uses MODIC software coz it seems some guys had some problems with newer version of the software when trying to reflast the ECU. I'm a newbie on this but thought it may be worth giving a go. cheers guys

Thanks M-Spec, I'll give them a ring. Any advice on removal of the aribag? or is it something not for DIY? It seems quite straight forward but I'm not sure if there is any catch with doing this.

P.S. GROOM's great! :D

Up to you if you feel confident enough to do it or not, Don't know what style your steering wheel is , Four spoke or 3 spoke ??. If its 3 spoke this thead hear although for retrofitting the multi function shows how to remove the airbag, >>Here<< , I don't know about the 4 spoke one.

If you do not feel confident enough around your airbag i would suggest the dealer.

Edited by M-Spec