Sign in to follow this  
_Matt_

E28, water in boot

This is probably the most concerning problem i have at the moment.

I found water under the carpet in the boot and also the foam right at the back under the carpet had soaked up quite a bit. I dried it up but today i opened up the boot to find condensation covering the whole underside of the boot lid. <_<

i thought water may have got in from somewhere but now condensation? I've never seen this before.

any ideas?

A lot of E28s leak into the boot, and from there into the rear seat floor area. Normally the boot seal is the culprit, but sometimes even with a good seal, mainly when you have the car parked with the boot higher than the front.

The condensation is just due to the weather at the moment, cold nights with moisture already in there and you'll get it every time.

ive had a similar problem with mine, took a while to figure it out, but was really simple.

may apply to you, may not

culprit:

The aerial from my radio was missing, so every time it rained, water seeped into the boot, and left a rather large puddle down the left side.

nothing a bit of liquid nails couldn't fix though! :D

alrighty, cheers. I can confirm the seals look pretty top notch, rust near lids latch is all i see but the surface rust deep in the boot (near seats) concerns me a bit aye :/

e: my aerial is there (water is predominantly showing on the passengers side) aerial is on drivers side.

Edited by _Matt_

Remove everthing from the boot, get inside with a torch and get a mate to hose it down in the area you think it might be leaking... shouldn't be too hard to find where it's coming from

o.k, so i'm in deep now! so to speak.

here is what i have found...looks like the seals around the left tail light have failed and no one cared to have a look why water was getting in their boot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

i knocked over my beer to top things off :(

Posted Image

that's a real shame mate, other than that it is a nice looking E28

as long as i can prevent any further damage i'm happy.

the screw in the second pic is missing because the fitting thread on the light has been broken, maybe that let some in.

there was water filling the side lens, so much so i only noticed it when some drained out and i could see the water level :/

i have cleaned it all up and siliconed the sh*t out of it so lets hope for the best. ill keep the boot linings off to keep an eye on it.

missing screw:

Posted Image

water filled lens:

Posted Image

cleaned up (might cut the rust out when i can)

Posted Image