Sign in to follow this  
nath

Anyone had lecturer problems?

So I just got my last semester's marks back for mechanical engineering.

All semester I had trouble with ONE lecturer, he is rude, a smart ass, talks back, offers no help, never repeats what he says etc. A real piece of work.

Each person in his classes thinks this and several complaints are made, including mine. But nothing seemed to change..

The HOD said there are 'circumstances beyond our control'. What does this mean?! He has lectured since the 70's, and had retired but has been pulled back into service due to lack of staff.

My marks for the semester for my 4 papers are A, A+ A-, and from him a D for mechanics..

What the heck can I do, I quite seriously am not comfortable diving head first into his paper again, a paper which needs to be taught, not so much read from a book.

That sucks dogs balls! I know how you feel, my career path was diverted due to 2 teaches in college, they hated me from day one because my older brothers had both caused heinous amounts of trouble for them in previous years. But I now know I would have sucked being a vet as its way too emotional (yes I'm female) and I have a phobia of needles.

Anywho back to you, a tad different as you really want to pass. I personally would chuck it at him, if your not clear on something ask, if hes not helpful keep asking, he has to teach you, keep pushing him for answers and maybe he will start liking you as he will think you might actually want to learn his industry and lighten up on you.

mm good call Shelley- you are right, and I am reminded that he isnt the police and that I really can ask as much as I like.

The barrier is that he really is a bona- fide c*nt and it is quite difficult standing up to him, when you are not looking for a fight, but looking for answers.

He is possibly the most gratingly negative person that I have ever been forced to deal with

Are you at University? I had a lecturer/Tutor here in Otago and because of a drunken indiscretion with said tutors girlfriend, that he found out about...i did not have a happy second year! After receiving another failed mark and a C- for projects i was sure were better, i went to the chancellor and explained the situation, my marks were then looked over by another tutor who did not agree with my tutors and passed them on to another lecturer who agreed...long story short he was reprimanded and i never failed another project...can you ask if there is a way to have a second opinion?

Edit: Always make complaints in writing...almost guaranteed to get a response.

Edited by cliffdunedin

Had plenty of useless lecturers at AUT. Some were so bad that I could hardly understand their poor english. Some knew nothing about what they were teaching. But there was such a shortage of capable people to teach that we just had to put up with them. But do as Shelley has suggested. If there is something you don't understand make sure you don't let it slide. Keep on him.

Btw. I was one of those older brothers Shelley. School already had a hate for my younger brother and sister when they started. Macleans holds a long grudge.

Are you at University? I had a lecturer/Tutor here in Otago and because of a drunken indiscretion with said tutors girlfriend, that he found out about...i did not have a happy second year! After receiving another failed mark and a C- for projects i was sure were better, i went to the chancellor and explained the situation, my marks were then looked over by another tutor who did not agree with my tutors and passed them on to another lecturer who agreed...long story short he was reprimanded and i never failed another project...can you ask if there is a way to have a second opinion?

Edit: Always make complaints in writing...almost guaranteed to get a response.

Oh man that sounds like a tough year!

Yeah I am at AUT..Unfortunately my bad mark for the paper is MOSTLY attained, my issue being the method/ quality of teaching. A few marks are questionable though.

At Otago I had a creep old man lecturer for comlaw, he actually invited me back to his house twice- i complained and he didnt love me so much after that... I still got a good mark though because he had the hots for my mate too and it couldnt be seen that he was being preferential when my mate and I essentially had the same work!

Creepy lecturers are very common down here lol...I would try a written complaint to the chancellor/proctor and get signatures from others who are unhappy with his teaching, if that fails, send an anoynymous letter to the student/local paper (not the same complaint letter though)

Lecturers that date students then kill them is pretty common too apparently....

That sucks man... Definately writing.... I was lucky enough to have my problem sorted out when I hit up the HOD.

After my first semester, I can safely say that university is a huge joke and if it wasn't for the pretty piece of paper you get at the end, completely useless (obviously there are exceptions).

Had a mate let some other dude copy one of his assignments word for word. My mate who did the assignment legitimately got a C and the dude who copied got an A-. How can there be +/- 25% for the exact same work!?!

After my first semester, I can safely say that university is a huge joke and if it wasn't for the pretty piece of paper you get at the end, completely useless (obviously there are exceptions).

I'm pretty sure that that is done on purpose. This weeds out the people who really want to be there and will stick it out. It also caters to bring the lowest common demominator up, so that from second year onwards there is a level playing field (that's my theory anyway).

I found that from my second year onwards it got better with each year (I was there for 5 years, my 4 year degree then 1 year post grad).

I had a mate doing the same degree as me, when he handed in one of the biggest assignments of the entire degree, his lecturer/marker sent it back with "Is this a joke?" written across it is vivid marker, and no grade. This mate worked hard and it was a good assignment. He complained formally in writing, got it remarked by another lecturer and recieved the appropriate (good) grade.

The original lecturer had a complete breakdown and made national headlines not long afterwards. Needless to say he never lectured again.

In my second year I had a lecturer who had just shown up from England never having lectured before (I had a few beers with him and he said had gone through a nasty divorce and wanted to get as far away from England as possible). He was brilliant and had great industry experience (he was a part of the Toyota marketing team that lanched the Lexus brand in the US). I'll never forget the first assignment he gave us. He asked us how it should work, so we set our own assignment criteria, grading system etc.

Fun times, and now a long time ago!

Guest Simon*

Nathan instead of the direct confrontation would it help to pester him with questions and clarifications by email?

Perhaps send him a list at the end of each week or as required with the main areas you need addressed?

Make sure you CC either his HOD or other staff/tutors in the department with your requests too - makes it harder for him to hide or ignore them. Plus a "paper-trail" of this sort is invaluable if you have cause for complaint, or are struggling at the end of the paper.

That's a great idea Simon.

For one paper I had a c**t of a lecturer myself (mechanical engineering too...). We all just went to HOD and explained the situation. At the end of the semester he was no longer lecturing. I feel your pain.

All the best with how it ends up!

Yeah i thimk what Simon says is good advice- in fact this thread has actually helped me think a lot more clearly!

Problem with 'class action' is that this paper has some serious drop- kicks, with intellect and ability that reminds me of what i see on here sometimes :P. Hence it would be difficult to get guys with a backbone to stand behind the sinature they put on paper just because everyone is, and because "oh yeah, he's a dickhead lets get him fiiiired"

Just found out that of the whole paper, 6 people passed. I know of 2 C's and 2 B's so far

How many people did the paper? What ever happened to bell curve scaling?

about 50 people do the paper? maybe a few more....

I bought this up quickly with my dad who is a senior lecturer at victoria. He said the HoD is obliged to do something about it and the fact that the lecturers spot will be hard to fill etc is a seperate, non related issue. We didn't get any further than that but if you have some specific questions ask me and I will pass them on to him.

Nice going on the other As btw!