Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Qwik questions

There's a fair amount of information on line but I'm not sure it's consistent with my E53. I'm just curious as to what the service intervals are on my E53 3.0d with the M57TUD30 engine (facelift) - NOT that I'm paying for it as I've scored 2 years free WOF and servicing and warranty from BMW when I bought it (BMW Approved)

I can't quite remember exactly what k's it had on it, but aprox 84km when I bought it, and it was serviced after I bought it like a month later. Anyway, it has two green lights left (out of 5), then an orange, then red. I've gone through the manual and can't seem to find anything there either.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Each green = 2,000km X 5 = Your service interval distance of 10,000km Yellow is overdue, red is very overdue

So they're only 10 clicks before a service is due. I used to think 5000km was sh*t with my Surf yet I thought the X5 was 15k km :(

doesnt it have a mileage countdown when you startup to show you when you will be due for a service?

doesnt it have a mileage countdown when you startup to show you when you will be due for a service?

Not if its got the 5 green indicator

So how come some diesels are now giving intervals of 20k - 25k? Has there been like a major advancement in filter technology in the past so many years?

This is a Glen question I think. But with the cold I can hear like an extra fan running when I first start in a morning. And can hear metal expanding, like creak creak creak creak. This morning I noticed steam coming from underneath the X5, so I looked underneath and there's like a third exhaust under there just under the front passengers door. There was diesel hot fumes coming out even though the car had only been running for 30 seconds. Took a picture of it but basically just wondering what the hell it is!

post-2864-1278752126.jpg

Not seen that before Clinton. If I could have the chassis # I'll check tomorrow for you on ETK

WBAFB720X0LX16152

Got that from the service booklet. It said it was serviced 17-2-10 with 88280km on the clock, it's done 98 now, so the intervals must be 15,000???

This is a Glen question I think. But with the cold I can hear like an extra fan running when I first start in a morning. And can hear metal expanding, like creak creak creak creak. This morning I noticed steam coming from underneath the X5, so I looked underneath and there's like a third exhaust under there just under the front passengers door. There was diesel hot fumes coming out even though the car had only been running for 30 seconds. Took a picture of it but basically just wondering what the hell it is!

It's the muffler for the auxillary water heater. Which burns diesel to heat up the water for your heater when cold starting.

Nice. I one of those people that don't use their heater until the car reaches it's normal temperature, does that mean I can use it from cold?

Nice. I one of those people that don't use their heater until the car reaches it's normal temperature, does that mean I can use it from cold?

Yes...because diesels take longer to heat up than petrol engines

It's the muffler for the auxillary water heater. Which burns diesel to heat up the water for your heater when cold starting.

The Germans think of everything!!!

For Sale - BMW X5 - onboard diesel heater - sat nav - towbar...

Would make for a good selling point LOL