Sign in to follow this  
Tristan

Dark tints on import vehicles

If a car is imported from Japan where the rules on tinting are (apparently) less stringent, and the tints on the vehicle are considered an illegal tint in New Zealand; is it legal to have them on as that is how it was imported?

I believe I have heard this is the case but I cannot remember and would like to confirm.

Thank you.

when my mom's car came into NZ (04 Civic) and my mates car (03 Golf), it had tints ripped from the front door windows when it went through its 1st WoF and compliance, but the back door window tints were left on.

So if they werent stripped through compliance there are no legal issues with them?

So if they werent stripped through compliance there are no legal issues with them?

That was my experience with tints from Jap cars, but whether or not if its still legal, someone else with more knowledge can shed more light onto this. The cars went through further WoF without further issues, so i guess by WoF standards, they are fine. FYI, the tints were VERY light and not dark shades.

Ok I see, one of the cars I'm looking at buying appears to have very dark tints but this could be exacerbated by the fact the car is white.

Most legal issues will get picked up at compliance, tints being one of them, I have bought imports that have had the tints removed at the compliance stage. However, it is possible that not everything is picked up at that point and something may get missed, but it's unlikely it would be something as obvious as tints.

If it was missed at compliance then the fact that it was like that when it was imported would not help you out at WoF or stopped by the cops time. The law is the law, if it ain't legal at that point, then it ain't legal full stop. It would be impossible to prove the car was like that at time of importation (it's not docmumented) and that you hadn't just had the tints added.

Are the tints on the car that you are looking at aftermarket add ons, or is it in the original glass? If it's in the glass then it should be marked as to what percentage tint it is, the markings are usually in the corner by the makers name, safety standards, etc.

I have not purchased the car yet but I'm 100% sure that they are aftermarket as they are very dark.