Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

E70

Apart from looks and marginally better performance I've heard they aren't a lot different.

Realistically, what will you get out of the E70 that you aren't getting out of your E53? Anything?

Sure the heart says upgrade, but the brain says don't bother. All you're doing is forking out cash for a vehicle that's going to depreciate a lot more than your current one.

Obviously your money though so go for it.

Hi,

I purchased an ex demo 4.8 E70 in Jan 2008. Since then we have done about 25-30Km in it. The wife took the car over in November last year when I pourchased a new M5.

The X5 is great... I have had it on the track in Taupo and certainly passed a few other BMW's including a forum member in his E30. I'm sure the sight of an E70 bearing down on an E30 would have been interesting...

The performance from the 4.8 is excellent with a quoted 0-100 in 6.5 seconds. The torque is also more than enough!! When I tow our boat from Napier to Taupo the trip is usually only 5 minutes longer pulling 2.5 ton of boat. The extra fuel is about a 1/4 of a tank though.

On the open road we get about 11.5-12.5 litres per 100Km, which is OK I think for a big suv with 7 seats and more than enough power to eliminate most cars on the road.

Go for the E70, and go for the 4.8 as it has so many more features as standard!! Also black is the best colour (ours is!!) and also get the windows tinted if they aren't already.

Cheers

From the horses mouth ^^^

4.8 must be nice but I'm just set on a diesel, have one now and I think they're brilliant in terms of usable around town power, that they they are economical. IMO I don't think a large petrol SUV makes sense. I have a courier guy that comes in who has a Mercedes 320CDI van, I always wave to the guy and he knows me and my car, a few months ago, I was heading up the notorious saddle hill 3 lanes a side hill and went flying past him doing a very illegal speed and caught up with him the next day and we got talking about the X5 and he goes ahh, what size V8 is it?!?! I said nah brother, it's a DIESEL!

Quite simply his mouth dropped - enough said LOL

I had my wires crossed, the 40d is out now, PD'd one yesterday, 3 litre twin scroll single turbo, has more than enough power! Absolutely monsters the previous ones.

I had my wires crossed, the 40d is out now, PD'd one yesterday, 3 litre twin scroll single turbo, has more than enough power! Absolutely monsters the previous ones.

Am driving this particular demo vehicle (I beleive) to Wellington and back tomorrow so will see how it goes on a good run. First impressions are that it is very good and the HUGE differance between the original E70 and the E70 LCI (facelift) is the new steering. It is like driving a micro car with the new "electric" steering compared to the old E70 models steering. The 8 speed transmission is also very good. It truly is a totally different car to the original E70.

I think the wife will really like the steering which may end up being bad for my bank account....... The driveway looks good tonight with an E70 4.8i and an E70 40D LCI parked side by side.

Of course the new X5M has now hit our shores and that will be a weapon if my previous experience on the track with the X6M is anything to go by!!!!

Am driving this particular demo vehicle (I beleive) to Wellington and back tomorrow so will see how it goes on a good run. First impressions are that it is very good and the HUGE differance between the original E70 and the E70 LCI (facelift) is the new steering. It is like driving a micro car with the new "electric" steering compared to the old E70 models steering. The 8 speed transmission is also very good. It truly is a totally different car to the original E70.

I think the wife will really like the steering which may end up being bad for my bank account....... The driveway looks good tonight with an E70 4.8i and an E70 40D LCI parked side by side.

Of course the new X5M has now hit our shores and that will be a weapon if my previous experience on the track with the X6M is anything to go by!!!!

Had a blat in the X5M, new favorite BMW of all time, so so much power! Hopefully will get to take one out for a "descent" drive in Melbourne next month.

You lucky lucky sh*t. You mean the twin turbo 4.4V8 one?

Might change my name on here to NV-GREG.

How was it? They rekon the handling is superb.

One thing to state, I was in at our local BMW dealership three weeks ago I suppose. Asked them to find me something, emailed them a week ago to ask for an update and nothing have had no response, called and left a message, no response.

When your dealing with a dealership like a BMW one, or any one for that matter I think it's a wee bit poor to be honest.

You lucky lucky sh*t. You mean the twin turbo 4.4V8 one?

Might change my name on here to NV-GREG.

How was it? They rekon the handling is superb.

One thing to state, I was in at our local BMW dealership three weeks ago I suppose. Asked them to find me something, emailed them a week ago to ask for an update and nothing have had no response, called and left a message, no response.

When your dealing with a dealership like a BMW one, or any one for that matter I think it's a wee bit poor to be honest.

Out corners and outruns the E60 M5, nimble as anything. For $240,000 you would expect that though.