Sign in to follow this  
jojowx

Question!? E46 ATF cannot be changed?

hi guys after floating around the forum for a long time(i have searched around the forum but no past threads B) )

i have a question to ask~

:o Looking around for a E46 for half a year now, went to Borders the other day and picked up the dog lemon car guide. It states that the automatic gear box for e46's are "sealed for life" and cannot have an ATF oil change. Is that true? Can we still change it though?

It states that they are designed for a 150 000 km lifespan and then a new one has to be replaced when the kms clocks up.

Also one last question (big debate too) How is the reliability of the facelift e46 325i. I have seen many debates on reliability on e46's, e36's and between the range of 318i~330i's. However, i stuck to the e46 cause its a bit newer.

Being used as a daily drive in the future i thought the e46 325i is just the perfect balance of fuel and performance. But reliability wise for the 325i? as the guide states that early dies of oxygen sensor and excessive oil consumption is common for the 325i.

:P Thanks guys

Edited by TW bear driving BMW

Our 330 has done 200000kms without major issues.

Has had its niggles. NZ new with full service history.

Sealed for life is bullshit even though BMW state this. You do a transmission service at 100k. Oil doesn't last for life. We change oil, filter and pan gasket at 100k. You also have to use the correct oil. We use ELF G3LL full synthetic.

Edited by *Glenn*

Sealed for life is bullshit even though BMW state this. You do a transmission service at 100k. Oil doesn't last for life. We change oil, filter and pan gasket at 100k. You also have to use the correct oil. We use ELF G3LL full synthetic.

:D Thanks glenn~ will contact you on phone to book a pre purchase inspection if i see something in mind

Cooke Howlison BMW told me that mine was sealed for life too. I just can' understand that to be honest. Glen, what should I pay for my E53 if I end up hanging on to it (gearbox service)

Edited by Clinton

Cooke Howlison BMW told me that mine was sealed for life too. I just can' understand that to be honest. Glen, what should I pay for my E53 if I end up hanging on to it (gearbox service)

Around $500-550 if I was doing it. The oil is over $30 per litre + Gst. It will take 6-7 litres if its drained properly + filter, pan gasket, labour and you need to scan the EGS and clear adaptions. You also need to check the wiring loom plug for leaks and replace if necessary while youv'e got the pan off. I would also do both diffs & transfer case as well .....more $$$$

Edited by *Glenn*

What condition is the oil generally in after 100k?

I no of several Mercedes Benz Vans that have done 400,00k+ without the oil in the gearbox being changed, as recomended by MB.

What condition is the oil generally in after 100k?

I no of several Mercedes Benz Vans that have done 400,00k+ without the oil in the gearbox being changed, as recomended by MB.

It's normaly very dirty and sometimes black. We do the Merc's, Audi's & VW's at 100k too, or change oil if there is a recomended interval. It's absolute crap that long life gearbox oil is for the life of the trans. Or do we start replacing transmissions at service intervals ?... I doubt it.

Edited by *Glenn*

Glenn you legend! so glad youve just said that haha I've just had this argument today with a mate who owns a VW... service place told him lifetime fill/seal and nows he's convinced thats the way and it'll never need to be touched :rolleyes: